Ice and Fire: Opposites Attract Part 1

*FYI: Glacieria is pronounced: Glay-sher-ee-uh. Flamoira is pronounced: Fluh-mwor-uh.*  

Chapter One: Ephelia's POV

I am Ephelia.  

I am an Ice demon, one of the five clans: Ice, Fire, Earth, Air, and Water. For as long as anyone can remember, the Ice and Fire demons have been at war since the Fire king killed the Ice king's little sister, Yvette.  

I am the head guard, directly guarding the Royal family. They have sent me to Earth to search for the portal to the Fire dimension. I have seen three Fire demons and managed to take them all out quickly and quietly. But I have had no luck locating the portal.  

I opened my own dimension's portal, and stepped through the swirling hole into the snowy paradise known to the Ice demons as Glacieria  

I appeared in the throne room and walked up to the royal pair talking to my twin, Yvonne. I got down on one knee. "Mother, Father."  

"Ephelia, you know you are prettier in your true form," my mother, Queen Elena scolded.  

I mentally rolled my eyes and allowed the blue streaks in my hair to appear, adding color to the pale short strands that fall around my face. I changed my eyes from the dark blue that I prefer to the icy blue I was born with. My ears grew pointy with earrings formed from ice going all the way up both ears and very tiny fangs grew from my canines. Small blue horns grew on my forehead.  

"There. That's better. Now, what news have you brought?"  

"I found nothing, Mother. I'm sorry. They have the portal under heavy spells; I was unable to sense it."  

King Yelder cursed. "If you can't find it, no one can."  

Yvonne scoffed at me. "Can't you for once act like the royalty you are? You're always running off to help with the war. Why don't you leave that to the guards?"  

I stared at her with the snobby look she always gave me. "In case your brain has been on vacation in the last two years, Yvonne, I am the head guard. It's my job to help protect Glacieria, and the people who live here."  

She snorted. "No wonder, Mother and Father just named me the heir." She gave me a smug look.  

"Is that true?" I asked. I have never been particularly interested in being the next Queen, but I didn't want Yvonne ruling.  

"Yes, but the condition is, she cannot take your rank from you, and you have as much power as she. She will just be known as the Queen. We know you don't want the position."  

I was confused. "I'll have the same amount of control?"  

They nodded. I looked at Yvonne and grinned, then turned around and walked to see Jazelle. The Ice demons' healer and potion maker has the wavy brown hair that reaches her waist and moss green eyes of her people. She is an Earth demon that was banished by her clan for interfering in the war between the two kingdoms. The Earth, Air, and Water kingdoms preferred to stay out of everything.  

Jazelle had come across a wounded Ice demon and had helped him, making her a friend to the Ice demons. She had a potion for everything, making her an incredible asset to the war.  

She was reading from the ancient spellbook her mother had given her as a little girl. She had her hand held out in one direction and a wooden ladle was mixing the bubbling liquid in a cauldron. She was speaking in what I assumed with the old Earth demon language. When she looked up and saw me, she smiled and marked her page, closing the book.  

"Hey, E," she said. "How was the search?"  

"I killed a few Fire demons but no portal. It's under heavy spells. Anything you can do about it?"