Four (Smile For Me)

(Chris' POV)

Bella was babysitting Mateo for Karen and Lin. So Mandy and I were alone. I had an arm wrapped around her shoulders and my hand brushing through her hair. She kept glancing at me every once in a while. Mandy never cracked a smile. She rubbed her flat belly. I placed my other hand over hers, still on her belly. I kissed her head. Then, I got down on my knees. She lifted her shirt ever so slightly.

As I placed my hands on her belly, rubbing her skin with my thumbs, she put her hand on my head. "Hello little one. Please hang in there, okay? We can't wait to meet you baby." I said and placed my lips to her skin. Mandy lifted my chin with two fingers. She still didn't smile.

"I really want the baby, Chris. I really, really want it to be for good." She placed her hands over mine.

"I do too baby. I do too." I whispered and took her hands in mine. "If it happens that we do lose the baby, please don't shut me, or Bella, out. Please?"

"Okay. I'll try." She said. I squeezed her hands.

"What's that quote from Lin that always makes you laugh?" I thought about it for a moment. "Song writing is like being a nun. It's like you're married to a mystery." Mandy didn't laugh, she didn't smile.

"He quoted someone else, Chris."

"Right." I stood, pulling her up with me. "Baby, I can help you if you just talk to me."

"I did talk to you." She looked down. "What will my parents say? Can I go in there and say, 'I know that I'm letting you down'?"

"You're not letting anyone down, Mandy." I ran my hands down her arms. She didn't look at me, giving me nothing to work with. "Mandy, look at me." I lifted her chin with my index finger. Tears glistened in her eyes. "Hey, amor, what's wrong?"

"I'm going to be so scared. Until the baby is born and healthy." She whimpered. I couldn't help but lean down and kiss her.

As our lips connected, her arms went around my neck and mine went around her waist. She pulled me into her, kissing me, her tongue sliding into my mouth slightly.

A moment later and we mutually pulled away. Mandy swayed us back and forth for a bit. I swayed along. "Chris, I want to take another test. With you. If you are okay with that."

~~~

Karen and Lin along with Bella and Mateo sat with us, talking. Mandy showed them the test, proving what we already knew. Mandy was pregnant. I rubbed her back.

Suddenly, a rapid knock came on the door. Mandy went to open it. Walking back into the room, she was trailed by her parents. "We have more guests." She said slowly.

"Mandy, I'm gonna use the rest room." Mr. Gonzalez said. We were all silent until we heard a shout from the bathroom. "Mandy Gonzalez! I swear to god, if this isn't Karen's..." Mandy grabbed the pregnancy test from her father.

"It's mine Daddy." She whispered. "I'm so scared."

"Me too baby. I'm not mad at you. I'm not even mad at Chris. But I'm scared for you."

"Thank you, sir. For not being mad." I said. Mr. Gonzalez slapped my shoulder, then hugged Mandy.

"I wish you two good luck with this one." He told us.

"Thank you Daddy."

"I cannot believe you hoped that was my pregnancy test! You inconsiderate son of a bitch!" Karen said, standing. Her long black hair flowed down to her mid back.

"Karen, I didn't mean it that way. I...It's just that, Mandy's had two miscarriages and I don't think she could handle another one." He turned to Mandy. "I'm afraid of what she might do to herself if she loses another baby."

"I'll make sure that her mental health is at the best place possible for her." I said, wrapping an arm around her middle, her standing in front of my, her back pressed against me. My hands rested on her belly, and hers on top of mine. Everyone smiled and Lin took a picture.

"Do you guys mind if I post this?" Lin asked.

"Can you text it to me? I'll post it. Picture credits go to you." Mandy said. Once she was texted it, she went on Twitter. I watched her, my chin resting on her shoulder.

_mandygonzalez

Well, third times the charm right? Chris and I are expecting again

Well, third times the charm right? Chris and I are expecting again. Hopefully this one will stick.

Then, she started a live video.

Girls_Rule_Boys_Drool- Are you really pregnant again?

"Yes I am." Mandy said. "So let me explain. Chris and I have gotten pregnant two other times. But I miscarried both of them. So, before I continue, if you're sensitive towards heavy subjects, please stop watching."

The number of viewers dropped from 300 to about 245. "Okay, so when I..." Mandy explained the whole situation and then ended the live video.

"Are you okay Man?" Karen asked.

"I'll be fine."

"Mom! I'll be fine means you're not okay."

"Should we talk to Genevieve?"

"I guess. Maybe. Chris, can talk about this later?" I nodded, kissing her shoulder. She leaned her head back on my chest. I smiled down at her.

"Mandy, honey, have you thought about seeing a doctor about your miscarriages? Maybe they're connected to the abortion you got." Mrs Gonzalez said.

"You know what, I never thought of that! Mom, you're a genius!" Mandy reached her hand out as did her mother. They squeezed each other's hands before Mandy put her arms back over mine.

~~~

Lying in bed, we cuddled, our foreheads touching. Mandy still hadn't smiled yet today. "I love you Chris." She said, a still straight faced look. Her breath was warm against my skin.

"Smile for me." I kissed her nose. She scrunched it up and finally smiled. "There it is baby. The smile I loved more than anything else in the world. The one she'd hopefully be wearing when I proposed.

***Author's Note***

So we know he wants to propose. But how will he? Or will he?

Be kind, be smart, be productive, have fun. But most of all, be fearless! You have it in you!

Sincerely,
The Author (Ryeli)