Part 3

(really long part ahead! Flashbacks are the paragraphs in italics)

"We know what took Y/N. You're not gonna like it."

Arthur felt a lump form in his throat. Y/S/N was staring up at him with wide eyes. "What was it?" Arthur asked Dean. "A witch. We found a hex bag." With a glance at Y/S/N, Arthur made up his mind. "I'm on my way. Y/S/N is coming with me. He can help." He didn't wait for an argument before he hung up. "The Winchesters found something. We're leaving now." Y/S/N nodded and stood. "What happened to my mom?"

Arthur considered not telling him, but at the same time, the child had a right to know. "Your mother was taken...by a witch." Y/S/N's brows furrowed. "A witch? Like a what mom sometimes calls a bi-" Arthur held up a hand to cut him off. "No. An actual witch." Y/S/N scoffed. "Please. I'm 11, I'm not stupid. Witches aren't real. If they were, I would have gotten my Hogwarts letter already." The matter-of-fact way he said it made Arthur want to laugh.

"I assure you that witches are real, Y/S/N. In fact, all the nightmarish things you read about are real. Witches, vampires, werewolves. All of them." Y/S/N rolled his eyes. "Yeah right." Arthur sighed. There was no way he was going to get the boy to believe unless he saw. That wasn't something Arthur was going to do. Instead, he changed the subject.

"Does your mother have anything in your home to protect you?" The boy nodded. "Yeah. She's got a gun in a safe in the closet. She said she'd teach me when I turned twelve." Arthur breathed a sigh of relief. "What if I taught you now? Just a quick lesson before we go meet the Winchesters?" Y/S/N agreed happily.

Y/S/N wasn't a bad shot at all, much to Arthur's surprise. While he hoped it wouldn't be necessary for Y/S/N to use the gun, it was better that he knew at least the basics for what they were doing. The two got in the car and headed for your home.

As he drove, Arthur didn't speak much. Y/S/N had fallen asleep during the short drive and Arthur's mind was betraying him. It kept dredging up the memories of you that Arthur would have rather stayed buried. The ones that would make this job even more difficult.

"Come back to bed," your voice drifted to where Arthur was sitting at the edge of the bed. Behind him, Arthur heard and felt the shifting of the bed. Your arms wrapped around him a moment later and he had to fight the smile threatening to creep up on his face. What was supposed to be a one-night stand had turned into something much more. Arthur spent every free second with you that he could.

"I can't, love. You know that." You rested your chin on his shoulder and gave him a playful pout. "Please?" He almost relented, but knew he couldn't. He had a job to do. "I can't," he said again. He gently removed your arms from around him and stood. He turned to face you before leaning down and capturing your lips with his own. "I'll be back tonight, if you'll let me." You grinned. "Of course I will." Arthur kissed you again, then turned and walked out, shedding the smile and replacing it with his usual scowl. Every trace that he had been happy a second ago disappeared.

Arthur smiled softly at the memory. That had been about two months after you'd met. You had somehow become his normal, something Arthur had never expected. He also never took into consideration that one day, your curiosity would get the better of you.

Arthur opened the door of your home, knocking lightly. "Y/N?" You called out to him that you were in the kitchen, but something bothered him. You didn't sound like yourself. Arthur moved to the kitchen and found you standing in the kitchen, one of his guns resting on the counter in front of you. His eyes went into the dining room and, sure enough, you'd found it. The Devil's Trap he'd painted under the rug that rested under the table.