Chapter 1

When I receive my summons from the Queen I'm shocked. Why would the most powerful woman in all of Gangnam ever summon a simple 17 year old? As I walk down the road leading to the palace I don't panick like my mother beside me. I'm the image of calm. I know the Queen never summons people for no reason. I remember when I was eight and my brother was summoned, he was sent to the war the next day, and murdered by any enemy solider a week after leaving home. I shiver at the memory. My mom mistakes the shiver for fear and puts her arm around me, "It's okay darling, Queen Eliza must want to know about the smartest student in all of Gangnam." She pauses and turns me trying to comfort me even though I don't need it. She smiles an awkward smile and turns back towards the palace that now looms right in front of us. I glance back at my mom and wave before showing my summons to the guard at the gate and stepping onto the palace grounds. The palace is a truly beautiful structure made of marble and gold. Sun sparkles off of the glass windows and the gold statues in the open halls. The gardens on both sides of the path are amazing, each has a little pond and rare flowers I've only seen in books. I suck in a breath and continue to follow the gaurd that let me in. When we step inside the palace I notice the high ceiling and the chandelier hanging above me, surely made out of pure diamond. I follow the guard deeper into the palace now looking at him for the first time since he let me in. He's tall, with dark brown hair slicked back to make him appear older, he has a nice build after all he is a guard of the Queen and the prince. When the garud stops at a set of big wooden doors I'm too lost in my thoughts to notice and bump into his back. I stumble backwards but I'm caught by strong arms. I look up expecting to see the guard holding me from the side, but instead see him kneeling on the floor. "I'm sorry Prince Carter, she tripped and..." The gaurd quickly apologizes before being cut off. "Enough, it's okay Ben it was an accident." The prince helps me get to my feet and I blush bowing my head to greet him. "I'm sorry your Majesty, I was lost in thought and ran into Ben and I didnt realize you were behind me, please forgive me." as I rush through my apology the prince smiles down at me. "It's okay..." "Scarlet" "Scarlet I like that name, anyways it was an accident don't stress." Prince Carter smiles down at me and let's go of my hand. I blush again and step back from Carter. What is wrong with me, I just ran into the prince and I could barley form a proper sentence. He's so handsome though. Ugh snap out of it! "So Scarlet, what business does a beautiful girl like you have here in the palace?" The prince smirks when he sees how shocked I am by his question. "I'm not quite sure myself your majesty, I was summoned here by your moth- um the queen." As I blush again the prince only smirks. "So you're the girl mother's setting me up with, nice to meet you Scarlet, and please call me Carter."