A Decent Proposal

The taxi was just nearing the NBC Tent. "Could you please just stop by that curve. " She told the driver then looked at Stone. "Thanks. I owe you one." She ran to the big tent, her shoes making a clacking sound. The sun was beating down hard on the side of the white tent and the heat was unbelievable.

Stone sat in the taxi, drumming his fingers on his lap, thinking why is he bothering with this woman? She obviously went a long way to show him her indifference. If anything she was just patronizing him. He was, after all a client.

In the taxi earlier she was sitting so rigidly as if sitting at attention. She was wearing a grey sleeveless blouse that hugged the upper part of her body, not too loosely nor too tight, just enough to hint at the curves that were hidden.

Her skirt was fitting but loose at the hemlines. The way her hair freely draped on her shoulders, catching the glint of the lights, it was like a halo. But no matter how hard she tried to look prim and proper she still exuded intoxicating sensuality.

He didn't want to think that he was only here for the challenge. Many girls have been parading themselves at him, making the first moves, making all sorts of excuses to see him. But Collette looked embarrassed, really embarrassed at the train. Well he liked that. He knew some women who flirted at the slightest hint of provocation.

He heaved a sigh.

It was that night at the Museo Bar. The night that he first saw her. She still didn't recognize him. How could she? He disappeared without bothering to introduce himself. And he was sure she didn't see his face. It was dark and she was dazed. What he remembered most was the look in her eyes. There was hurt and vulnerability. She was lost, as if looking for someone to watch over her. That's was what got him.

He couldn't sleep that night thinking about the girl at the bar. When he saw her again at the train station he couldn't believe it at first. He wanted to laugh out loud. Was he seeing what he wanted to see? That face. It was like the gods were toying with his sanity.

And the final blow, at the office. Finally getting to know her.

Stone got off the taxi at the corner of Mackinley Avenue to his apartment in One Mackinley, a plush condominium in the middle of the urban jungle. The doorman wearing a white barong said 'good evening'.

He was able to acquire the penthouse when it was still at pre-selling stage. He got two units more aside from the penthouse. His family was in real estate and Stone managed the upscale condominiums in the BGC area. Bonifacio Global City was a relatively new place. Stone practically grew up with it. He was able to see it rise up from the ground having been schooled in one of the international schools in the area when he was very young.

He went up to his penthouse.

He lingered in the room filled with easels and paints. He was staring at his latest work. It was a series of sketch of woman. The woman's face in every angle. Her face was in constant motion. The eyes were lost.

The view of the city was spectacular but he did not seem to notice it having lived there for three years when he got back after a couple of years in New York. He took a short shower and put on fresh clothes. He got his keys and went down to the elevator to the parking in the basement.

It was already past eight when Collette got out of the NBC Tent. It was hard to get a taxi at that time, making her wish she had downloaded the Grab app when she had the chance. Now she was stuck and she had some deadlines to meet. She was hoping she could work on some projects before she went to bed. Trenton was a nice boss but she had to prove herself to him yet.