extended summary

Rusty Stevens relished in her invisibility

Rusty Stevens relished in her invisibility. The less people cared, the easier she could slip away. It was simple, and the exact reason Rusty escaped from home, from school, from herself, as often as possible.

Hawkins, Indiana wasn't Rusty's home. She didn't belong within the confines of small-town normality. Her heart belonged to Chicago, to Manhattan, to any city that let her young mind roam free with minimal judgment. It didn't help having an ex-activist for a mother and a playwright for a sister.

Rusty always came home once she'd ran away. The longest she'd been gone was two day, but eventually her mom pretended to stop caring. When they got to the tail end of 1983 and Rusty hadn't been gone for more than a day, her mother called it progress. But when Rusty disappeared at the worst possible time, Hawkins suddenly cared about the invisible girl a lot more than usual.

+++

WARNINGS: profanity, violence, sexual themes, use of cigarettes and alcohol. mild use of slurs featured in the show's actual dialogue.

DISCLAIMER: All characters, storylines and dialogue, except for the ones I explicitly state as my own, belong to the Duffer Brothers, Netflix and whomever be concerned. This is a work of fiction, all rights go to those respective contributors.