Potions (2)

DAY 1

After Herbology, she walked into the first potions lesson of first term with the intent of getting straight A's this year. She sat at one of the tables with cauldrons stationed at each seat with the rest of her Slytherin friends; Daphne, Pansy, Blaise, Theodore, Crabbe, Goyle, and Draco.

She and Draco hadn't gotten along very well during her first year at Hogwarts. She found him incessantly annoying. His bigoted opinions were something she didn't think she would ever be able to accept. She gave up on making any effort to find the good in the unpleasant platinum haired boy after the first couple months, and decided her dislike for him was official. But this year she promised herself she would ignore it and focus on her schoolwork.

He wasn't too fond of her either. He found her hard to read with a mysterious quality, which bothered him. She was clever and he did not enjoy having someone match his intelligence. He liked being the best. Much like her, he gave up on giving her chances to prove she was worthy of being his friend after the first couple months, and decided his dislike for her was official.

But one thing they did not know was how much they had in common. They were both very traditional and valued honour, respect, and loyalty. Neither of them liked being underestimated and they both weren't sure how to properly show their emotions, but all the same, they were young and did not know any better than to focus on their differences. They never truly fought, but they did their best to avoid each other.

Much to her dismay, the seat between Draco and Blaise was the only one left. She quickly disregarded her slight aggravation when she remembered the promise she made herself before term started, and she sat down. They glanced at each other briefly then he returned to his banter with Nott.

Professor Snape's lesson was that of an introductory one which included his expectations and term plan, as well as mandatory safety practices, which took up the entire period. He then dismissed them, but not before giving them a report due in two days on Valerian and it's uses.

DAY 2

She walked into potions the next day and sat herself down at the same spot as the day before. It would be weird, she thought, if she sat somewhere else this time; too cowardly. She pulled out her potions book and rested her chin on her right hand.

He walked in shortly after and took note of her inclination to stay in the seat beside his, despite the still empty chair on the other side of the table. He sat down and looked to his left at her. He recognized that he felt himself almost waiting for her to turn her head to meet his gaze. Once he made this realization, he looked away immediately and began to doodle on his parchment.

Professor Snape had decided on giving a lecture for today's lesson. It was on the forgetfulness potion they would be brewing during tomorrow's class. His monotone voice dragged on for what felt like hours to the students, and taking notes did not seem to fill their boredom. Still, the end of the period came. She stood up and grabbed her things. He stood up and grabbed his things. They unintentionally walked side by side silently out the door, but they both noticed it.

DAY 3

She walked into class again, a couple minutes late this time, to find that she was the only one who hadn't taken her seat. She ignored the stares in her direction as she was never one who struggled with social anxiety. She was confident. The platinum haired boy was staring off into space while Professor Snape rambled on. He didn't turn to look at her, but his empty thoughts halted immediately when she sat down.

She noticed the snake ring that fit quite loosely on his finger. He always wore that ring and she found it complimented him quite nicely.

Once Professor Snape sent them off to brew, she stood up and went over to the back wall to grab the three ingredients. She grabbed double of each amount and brought them back to her table. She pushed the other half over to him. She didn't quite understand why she did this. It's to be civil, she convinced herself. He looked at the ingredients, then up at her. He gave a half smile that was halfway between a subtle appreciation and a quizzical stare.

They began their potions. They recognized that they both carried out the same steps at almost the exact same time, the whole way through. Their potions turned out exceptional, as expected. They were both excellent in potions. Professor Snape ordered the reports to be brought to the front of the classroom and for each student to grab a bean to examine and identify for homework.

She got up and walked to the front like the rest of the students. As did he. They placed their reports on the top of the pile. He reached his hand out for one of the beans and his hand collided with hers. They quickly shifted the position of their hands after a split second of eye contact, and grabbed their beans.

She turned around and walked swiftly out of the room towards her next class, attempting to ignore the small jitter in her stomach. He walked out of the door and turned in the opposite direction towards his next class. He made sure to walk alone to hide the smallest bit of pink he felt flushing across a small area of his cheeks.