Chapter 1.

Zonnique

Another day of school and cheerleading practice. Exhausted wasn't even the adjective I was feeling. Words can't describe how tired I am man. There's so much on my plate right now and I can barely keep up honestly. I took a long well needed bubble bath and sat there for awhile, jusy drowning in my own thoughts. First I have to finish this chreo for our competition tomorrow,  find the perfect prom dress and study for upcoming exams.

My relaxation came to an end twenty minutes later. I drained my bath water and stepped onto my fluffy pink carpet. I wrapped a white towel around myself, then headed inside my bedroom. I threw my towel in the hamper and dug into my drawer. Not caring, I slipped into a pair of pink thongs and matching bra before. I threw a long tshirt over it that stopped at my thigh.

As I was applying lotion to myself, my phone made a small noise. Looking at the screen it was a text from August. I didn't even see him at school today which was quite strange. He never misses a day. Something must've been up. The read: Can I stay over? I replied yes since neither of my parents mind. They've known August since middle school and he's always around. As long as he sleeps on my couch that's located in my room.

I replied yes and finished creaming myself with lotion then deodorant and perfume. Ten minutes later there was a knock at the window. He never uses the front door. I sauntered over in my high knee socks and lifted the window. August crawled inside the stood up straight. He looked highly frustrated by the scowl on his face. Also I noticed a a cut on his bottom lip.

"Aug is everything okay?" I worried, looking up at him. He shook his head no and sat down on my undone bed.

"Well what happened?" I sat next to him with my hands inside my lap.

"I got into with Pops again. He hit my mama and all hell broke loose. I don't even know how he found out where we lived anyways." August explained, letting out a pitiful sigh. "My mama went to stay with my aunt just to clear her head. I ain't wanna be alone so I came here."

"Well you can stay however long. My parents won't mind, but you already know the rules." I said giving him a glance. "But don't stress yourself."

"Zonnique you just don't understand. You have the perfect family, your parents are married, they never fight. They're always happy."

"Sometimes the perfect family isn't always great. Both my parents are very busy so they aren't there for me. I can't count on one hand how many games or cheer competition they've been to. I don't get those homecooked meals or family gatherings like you. Don't compare your life to mines August because yours is better- besides the bullshit with your dad." I frowned. August has a big family and they're always together. Sometimes I go with him over the holidays. My parents never invite our family so I barely know them. Its always just us three.

August licked his lips. "I guess you're right but whatever. I don't even feel like talking about that anymore. My head is throbbing like a bitch." He ran his hand down his face and groaned.

"Advil?"

"Please."

"Be right back." I stood up and grabbed a pair of shorts, putting them on. Slowly I sauntered down the stairs to hear my parents whispering about something in the kitchen. Abruptly I stopped on the third step from the bottom and began listening.

"Corey do you know how big this is? We're going to have to break the news to her soon."

"I know Tameka but a whole month? Zonnique already craves our time and we barely give her that. I think we should pass up the offer."

"No! She's almost eighteen now. She's old enough to spend a month by herself. They are willing to pay almost thirty grand for our idea."

"I guess we'll break the news in the morning-"