Gruff but Kind

A snippet of a sort of medieval universe adventure romance book. Features the main character, a thief-turned-honourable, and the love interest, a member of a sort of guild that helps out around the continent with jobs of varying difficulty. I have no names or anything yet so yaknow. Read at own risk 😂 it's just a little drabble I wrote on the train.

-

I fell into pace beside him, his hand was on the hilt of his weapon, ever ready, ever suspecting. There was a brief flash of a glance in my direction, which I only happened to catch from my periphery. I ignored it, focused on keeping pace and not losing sight of the hound that guided us.

"Walk up front." He said, gruffly, not looking at me but instead indicating with his head. I creased my brow, confused. It was a simple but strange direction, to walk in a line rather than side by side. He seemed to notice my hesitation and mistake it; perhaps he thought I suspected he'd run me through when he got the chance. This I knew because he elaborated, and from what I gathered, he wasn't one to do so. "So I can keep an eye on you."

My face felt warm. I did as he asked, not sure for what reason I was embarrassed by this. To keep an eye on me? Meaning he didn't trust me, or he was looking out for me? I wasn't sure.

We continued on the length of our journey in silence, myself feeling unaccustomed, just the clink of his armour indicating he was still present behind me. I found the lack of conversation awkward, but he didn't seem bothered. Not that I could see him.

"Careful." Swift, something clenched me, and I was almost tucked into metal. I'd been so occupied questioning his motives that I'd not noticed the pitfall I'd been moments from stepping into. Once again, I felt the warmth of embarrassment, plus shame. The spikes at the bottom gleamed with poison. Perhaps venom of the silverback spider whose webs were in throngs between them.

Just as quickly, he'd let me go. So much for a master thief, he must've been thinking.

And now, rather than just the previous, my new distraction was in that he swung me round with the ease of a baker with a sack of flour. He was strong.

I found myself swaying my hips as I resumed my place up front, after a mumble of my gratitude. Only slightly. Not in confidence. Pride, perhaps?

Did I want to be attractive to him?