Prompt - Squander

Pairing: Elizabeth Swann, Teague

Word Count: 253

Prompt: Squander

Elizabeth looked down at the ancient artifact before her. The weeping candles on a wrought iron frame at the end of the table flickered, reflecting candlelight on its leather-bound cover, which was encircled with a heavy leather strap and a lock.

PIRATA CODEX: its embossed cover professed.

Carefully, she eased her weight onto a small chair, hardly glancing at the man who had brought her there, and giving him no audible greeting. Her attention had been immediately drawn to her duty. One slender hand was placed on top of her stomach, as if to reassure the occupant that no harm would come to it, in spite of all they would come against.

After a moment's hesitation, she glanced over her shoulder and saw him. Feeling her mouth grow dry; her heart thumped against her breastbone.

He carried his hat in his hand; his bandana covered head, his face and fine brow were most handsome and familiar. His features were not delicate, nor were they cold, frivolous and feeble; though well-worn; they were not so chiseled or so frittered away as to lose in expression or significance what they gain in unmeaning symmetry. Much feeling was revealed in them at times, but more sat silent in his eye. Such, at least, were her thoughts of him: an inexpressible sense of wonder occupied her as she looked at this man and reflected that he could not be slighted.

"This book is your family now," Teague said, studying her expression closely. "Mark it well, your majesty."