5

[Joshua's POV]

Even a heartbreak didn't take away my manners, so I hold up the umbrella for the both of us as we walk down the street. After a minute of silence, I finally get to hear her gentle voice again.

"What's your name?" she asks me. I look at her as she speaks. She looks back at me, probably feeling my stare. My lips curve into a smile.

"Joshua. And what's your name?" I ask her the same question. While asking, I'm internally eager to be able to finally associate a name with the face. I won't have to refer to her as 'café girl' anymore.

"I'm Jieun, nice to meet you, Joshua." She returns my smile as we continue walking. Having taken this path many times before, I know there is only one street left before we reach my apartment building.

I hesitate a little before asking another question.

"Umm, actually, I often see you at the café, and I came to notice many of your actions to help others. You seem very happy... and people around you, too. So I'm wondering, can you tell a depressed boy how to make others happy and, therefore, be happy myself?"

She looks at me, slightly surprised by my statement, but she doesn't seem to find it too weird. She looks down with a smile for a second, before looking back up.

"I'm surprised someone has noticed. Well, I've learned that one kind action can change someone's entire day. Not only can you make someone happy, but you can also feel satisfied by helping others. Like this, I have decided, quite a while ago, to do at least one good action each day," she answers my question.

I think of what she just said for a while, but I still don't think it applies to me. I feel like no matter what, I won't make anyone happy like she does so easily. Happiness still feels like it's a power, but I'm not a superhero. Instead, I'm the enemy, who's just dark and depressed. How will I even move on thinking like this...

I stay silent as I wonder some more. The rain hasn't stopped at all. I can still hear the sounds of the rain drops when they make contact with the plastic umbrella.

We cross the street as the light for pedestrians turns green. My apartment building is right in front of us.

"It's here," I tell Jieun as I stop walking and turn towards her.

"Nice building," she simply comments.

"Thank you for the umbrella. I really admire how you can manage to be this happy. If only I could be like you." I sigh after my sentence but manage to pull on a smile as our eyes meet again.

"You can be happy, too, Joshua. When it rains, you should look for the rainbows."

She turns a little and looks at the sky. I follow her gaze, and, like by magic, a beautiful rainbow happens to be there. I'm amazed by her words, but I also realize how much I've been missing out. I focus too much on the rain, and, therefore, I don't notice the rainbows.

Jieun waves at me before leaving. I watch her leave, still speechless by how wise she is.