Chapter 2: Lucky Hoe to the Rescue!

Evie finally caught up to the pig-- man, this little one was fast for being so small-- and skidded to a halt next to it, the little pig still squealing up a storm and running around in a little panic. 

Actually, she might've overbalanced a bit and crashed onto her side.

"Whoa, whoa, calm down there!" she exclaimed, trying to keep her voice steady and calm, and you know, not completely panicked and breathless. "Easy, easy..."

It didn't help, though-- the pig (Reuben? Yeah, she was pretty sure that was it) was so riled up about being on fire (well, but Evie could understand, after all, it was on fire) that it-- he, not it, Reuben was a guy's name-- just kept squealing and running. 

It took Evie a few mistimed swipes and one instance of smacking herself in the face, but she finally managed to yank off the wings, which were now mostly consumed by the flames. Dumping them on the ground unceremoniously, she seized ahold of the dragon head-- which was really well made, by the way, points to whoever had made it-- and popped it off.

The minute it came off, Reuben was off running again, and Evie actually dropped the Ender Dragon head onto the piled-up wings, flames slowly dying down and finding nothing else to burn, before scrambling to her feet and racing after him. "Hey, come back here! It's okay!"

The little pig squealed in reply, Evie still chasing after it. She tripped a few times, getting a good amount of dirt smeared onto her front-- oh well, she'd been planning on doing her laundry soon, anyways-- nearly toppling headfirst into a stream, and nearly cracking her skull on a few rocks-- but she somehow managed to keep up with Reuben. Which was a first, since she usually was so darn slow.

When she'd finally caught up to Reuben, he was hiding in a big patch of grass, shaking with terror and squealing from the ordeal. "Hey, hey, shhhh, shhh, it's okay." Evie held up her hands to show she was unarmed, giving the pig a nervous sort of grin. "See? I'm not gonna hurt you, buddy."

At last, Reuben managed to calm down, snuffling a bit as he emerged from the grass-- enough to poke his head out and get a better look at her, anyways. Evie let out a little sigh of relief, leaning over and patting the pig gently. "There you go. You're feeling better, huh?"

He snorted a bit, as if replying. Evie blinked down at it, before waving it off dismissively-- of course Reuben couldn't reply, he was just a cute little pig-- and giving it a smile. "There you go, shhh..." 

Evie got fairly repetitive when she was trying to be calming, as you can probably tell.

Now that the initial concern was gone-- mainly, that Reuben wasn't going to die at the hands of a mob-- Evie's mind immediately went back to that little altercation between her and her 'friends'.

She had no idea where that little outburst had come from. Sure, she'd been annoyed with them before, and it wasn't the first time they treated her like a little kid or like she wasn't even a part of the group. Yeah, it was the first time that Christina had shoved her, but still. Most other friends did that to each other sometimes, right? Playful shoving and that?

Except that it wasn't playful, was it? That shove wasn't intended to be playful. Not with what Christina had started to say.

Weren't friends supposed to ignore shortcomings like that? Or-- I don't know, accept them?

Did that make her a bad friend?

"Guess it doesn't matter," she mumbled to herself, ignoring the way Reuben perked up at her suddenly speaking after a minute of silence, "after all, after basically calling it quits with all of them, I don't really... have friends anymore, so I don't have any way of judging it."