3

Kwon Country Homes

Kwon Country Homes.

September 1, 2017. 11:30P.M.

Jinyoung settles in a seat with a cup of coffee, beside Hyeob and Jade.

"So," he squirms in his seat as he tries to get comfortable. "How is the boy now?"

"I'm not sure how to leave the house to him." Jade taps her chin, her indecisiveness seen in every swift tap.

"Are you crazy?!" Jinyoung screeches, pushing Hyeob to hiss. "We barely know that guy. Why do you think it's a good idea to leave the house to him?!"

"Because you would not be willing to watch the house for another week, would you, Mr. Bae?" Hyeob glares at Jinyoung, sending daggers flying at him.

"My first semester starts this week!" Jinyoung cries.

"Exactly!" Hyeob nods sharply. "Who else do you think would take care of this house?"

"And do you really think it could be that dirty, old man upstairs?!" Jinyoung spits.

"He's just dirty, not old!" Jade comes to poor Park Jihoon's defense.

"Just as I am just old, not dirty!" Hyeob pats imaginary dirt off his suede coat.

"Why are you two leaving, anyway?" Jinyoung pouts, not being able to think of anything more that he can say to defend his wrong side.

"I have to settle some documents and papers," Jade informs him. "And since I have no idea how to proceed with all of that legal stuff, Mr. Hyeob is gonna help me out."

"For free?"

"Yes, for free." Hyeob nods. "I work for the government, son. It's my job."

"Ah." Jinyoung nods gently. "Okay."

"And I consider you Crestwood kids my own kids now." Hyeob exhales as he leans back on the couch. "It's a nice feeling, you know, taking care of a bunch of kids."

"Have you never had firsthand experience in taking care of kids, Mr. Hyeob?" Jinyoung asks, genuinely curious. As far as he was concerned, he knew absolutely nothing about the nice old man's personal life.

Hyeob sighs deeply as he shakes his head. "I've never had the chance to marry, nonetheless date. I was so focused on law school, and on helping people out. I've fostered a few kids back then, but I was only able to take care of them during Christmas seasons. Then they'd have to go back to the orphanage."