|| Chapter Three ||

*Ahem* Tis the author of this book. Yes, by the way, there is a lyric video up there for something. I'll tell you when you can play it, okay? okay. very well, enjoy this chapter.
***
C h a p t e r T h r e e
"Locked Away"
- Eren's POV -

I placed the pillow back in it's place while the frown was still etched into my face. People knew me as the cheerful, talkative guy in school. Being home said otherwise, and it was clear that I wasn't that person.

I ended up laying down, drowning in the complete silence around me as I did so. The only thing that could be heard was faint arguing and occasionally, you would hear Mikasa tossing and turning on her own bed.

I tried to swallow the lump in my throat, but it was all too hard. It was in that moment, I let my emotions get to me as I let out a soft sob. It went on for about five minutes before I covered my mouth and sat up quickly afterwards in anger.

I can't cry, I can't. Not now, not here.

[play video here]

Instead of getting more angry with myself, I calmed myself down. The setting sun then captured my eyes, rays of oranges, reds and yellows all collided together, making it look so beautiful. The warm colours had managed to warm me up, if that was even possible. I just hated the fact that my father wouldn't let me go outside, the only time I had was when I went to school but that wasn't enough.

I exhaled slowly before wiping my eyes, and then I began to remove myself from the bed as I slowly walked over to the window.

I looked out of it for quite sometime before I decided to open it. My hands wondered over to the lock, but I was too hesitant to open it. Breathing in, I unlocked it before I pushed it open. A slight breeze could be felt as I did so, causing it to calm me down and not feel so nervous.

It was like being locked away from the rest of the world, it was lonely. Sure. I had Armin, Mikasa, and my mother, but I still felt so.. alone. Incomplete. I didn't like it one bit, I felt like there was something missing, something I couldn't quite put my finger on.

I let my thoughts scatter as I stood there for what felt like forever, considering I watched the sun set completely, it was now just dark and lonely. But now the city lights shined brightly, even that was beautiful.

"Lonely people find everything beautiful." A small voice said from behind me, causing me to jump. I turned around in fear, but only seen my sister standing by the door with a small smile on her face. "Supper is ready, so come down when you're done. Okay?" Her soft voice said.

"Okay, I'll be down in a bit." I replied, smiling afterwards out of habit. She then nodded before turning back around and shutting the door behind herself. After she was gone, my smile disappeared and I'm sure hers did too.

I sighed softly before returning my gaze out the small window. "Lonely people find everything beautiful." Her words rung in my ears like a church bell would, making me think ever so deeply about it.

I rested my head in the palm of my hand and continued to stare at the city lights in front of my eyes. Only a few people could be seen walking, which caused envy to build up. They were lucky, really lucky.

People like me were only lucky enough to survive in a house hold like this. "Whatever.." I mumbled, brushing off what I felt before closing the window and locking it. I don't have time to envy other people. I might as well make the most out of what I have, right?

I turned around and made my way out of the dark room, not bothering to close the door like I usually would. Before I knew it, my feet were carrying me down to the kitchen where our "family" would sit each night to eat.

Of course, we were never like a normal family. We weren't like Armin and his foster parents, however, we were something. It wasn't much, but it was all I ever knew.

There was no love between me and my father anymore, that all stopped when I turned seven. Me and Mikasa are somewhat close, and I know that my mom cares for me, but I feel like I've never really experienced love. I don't think I ever will, as long as I have the city lights and sunsets, I'll be fine.

"I see you've come, my son. Sit down," Grisha spoke, setting his fork and knife down before gesturing to my usual seat. I hadn't realized I already entered the room, I guess I was too spaced out to even care.

I nodded my head before walking to my seat, and sat down. My gaze was met by a plate of mashed potatoes and gravy, also served with corn and roast beef. It was mom's signature dish, which caused me to smile. Her food is what made this place feel like a home at the end of the day.

Mikasa sat across from me, a small frown on her face as she played with her food, while our mom sat on one end of the table - same face as Mikasa. I frowned then and there, wondering what had been making them quiet. Maybe it was sprawled out on the table for everyone to see and figure out, but I was oblivious. Or maybe I just didn't want to know.

Grisha cleared his throat and looked up to make eye contact with my mother, putting everyone's attention on her.

"Um.. Eren, honey.." She began as she put her cutlery down and started to wipe her mouth with a napkin.

I waited patiently for her to continue, the silence around us making me ever so anxious.

"we've discussed some ground rules," said Grisha, he ate as if it wasn't a big of a deal but I could personally sense it.

"No one is allowed to step foot in this house, not even your friend Armin. By the way, he's gay isn't he? I feel sorry for his -"

I slammed my fist against the table, causing the cutlery to clank as I did so. "He's a human being." The words slipped out as I stared down at my lap, already knowing that they had been staring.

"Hm. Whatever, my point being is that no one is allowed in here. You're only allowed out if there's supervison, that means you go nowhere without mom." He explained as I let my fist fall into my lap, the rest of what he was talking about hadn't been heard at all as I zoned out and stared at the palm of my hands.

"Also, if the rules are disobeyed.. Your actions will have severe consequences." He added, venom seeking through. "i hope you all understand." the male said as he stood up, now putting his dish in the sink before leaving the kitchen.

"My children, you know i love you both so much. Right? I will never let anything happen to either of you." Our mother spoke, unlike our dad; her voice was full of love even if she was on the verge of crying.

"Yes. We do know," Mikasa said softly, answering for the both of us as I stood still. Frozen in time, I couldn't say or feel anything anymore. It was as if he pierced me with his venomous ways and began to control me.

"I'm not hungry." I said as I stood up, glancing at the both of them for a few seconds. I didn't feel anything, but I forced myself to smile for the sake of my mother.

"Thank you for the food."

With that, I left them both in silence and headed upstairs. Entering the dark room, I made my way to the cold sheets and stared at the ceiling as I lay down.

"consequences, huh?" I said to myself, chuckling softly. I tried to keep my composure so I wouldn't cry again, I'd hate to wake up with puffy eyes.

Turning to face the wall, I got comfortable in my spot. The blanket under me was soon pulled over me, causing me to bury half of my face in the pillows. "good thing it's the weekend, I have two days to recollect myself."

Let's hope that'll be enough. Within a matter of minutes, I was met by darkness as my eyes began to get heavy.

------
Ah yes. There you have it, the long awaited chapter. :') i swear it'll get interesting soon, and sorry if it's short!!