Chapter 5-

We're sitting in the office right now.

I kind of admire how cold and emotionless the room is. It makes you feel nothing, and as much as I try, I can feel everything and arouse feelings in anyone else. The grey walls don't have anything on them except frames, his mahogany desk clean and orderly. I find that some sort of a miracle.

Acting casual, I lean back in the chair. What will Carly have to say about this? Is she going to shift all of the blame to me?

Adjacent to me, she says nothing, her eyes cast downwards. I get the impression that she's never been in trouble before.

But, then...it's not like I've ever slapped someone before. Though if that person was hitting on Vanessa, I would likely to do worse.

I suppress a sigh as the principle sits down in front of us. He's wearing a fancy suit that matches his serious face perfectly. He crosses his leg, trying to look intimidating, I would guess. Ha. What a fail. I smirk to myself quietly, but wipe it from my face so that he doesn't see it and get me into more trouble. That would suck more than it already does.

"Would someone explain to me what exactly just took place out there?" Durani's thoughts cut into my careful observations.

I glance at Carly to go first. I'm probably going to fudge a few details to put me in less trouble if I can, and I don't want her contradicting me.

She receives the message clearly. "Principal Durani, my best friend got mad at Beckett for something that none of us had a clue about and I...blamed him for her getting angry and I guess I started to...to insult him. When I crossed the line, he...," she shakes her head. "You know what happened then, and things didn't have any more time to escalate." Her hand latches onto her ear again. Why does she keep doing that?

I don't have time to contemplate the action because Durani turns to me next.

"Beckett, is this true?"

"Yes, sir," I report. I put spite into my voice when I says sir, not sure if he notices. He doesn't deserve the title, in my opinion.

"Noted," the principal says. It's casual, the way he's trying to intimidate us. "Carly, is there anything else you'd like to add?"

"No, sir," she replies hastily, her fingers fidgeting. She's quite uncomfortable, I see with satisfaction.

"Alright, then," he continues. "Beckett, you'll have two weeks of detention. Carly, only one week. You both are dismissed."

A sigh of relief escapes me, almost, and I stifle it hastily. Getting up before Carly, I hesitate. If I ever want to date Vanessa, I should probably get her best friend supporting me.

I hold out a hand to her.

I hear her sharp intake in breath. She's surprised, obviously. But nonetheless, she takes my outstretched hand, letting me help her up.

We share a short-lived smile, one of truce.

"Thanks," she says stonily. I can't tell whether she likes me or not with her poker face.

"No problem," I reply casually, sticking my hands in my pockets before walking from the office, waiting for her once I'm out there.

She catches up to me, quickly. She's light on her feet, I observe. But then, she's a ballerina. I'd be surprised if she wasn't one.

"Sorry about...earlier, Carly," I finally apologize, filling the silence.

"It's okay." She gives me a tight-lipped smile. I can't tell if she's forcing it or not.

My fists clench in my pockets. I can't get a read on this girl—at all. It's frustrating. I flip my hair from my face moodily, curling my lip at the thought. I don't believe this. Even Vanessa, I can get some type of read on.

Carly seems to notice my frustration, reading into it. "I know. How are we going to make sure that Vanessa doesn't find out? I mean, there'll be rumors about our almost-fight, you know?"

I curse under my breath. I hadn't thought of that. This is bad. If V finds out...I'm as good as dead with our relationship. I run my hand through my hair. What a mess.

Next to me, Carly's eyes go wide. "I left all of my dance things outside when he dragged us off!" She quickens her pace so that it's almost a run. I'm guessing she'd rather not get in trouble again.

But then I suck in my own breath. "I did the same," I exclaim, catching up to her and matching her pace.

We both make it outside together, keeping our heads down as whispers course through the yard.

Damn. This just shows that Vanessa has likely caught on by now. So much for saving my butt.

I spot my black Nike bag immediately, heading over to it. I unzip it, rifling through my things, checking that nothing was stolen. Satisfied with my search, I zip it back up and sling it over my shoulder casually.

Glancing across the clearing, I see Carly's distraught gaze. Must not have found hers yet. But then her eyes light up and she runs over to a spot, where her bag's been pushed over the wall—out of sight from her previously distraught eyes.

-----------------------------------

Author's Note-

Hey, you all! Thanks for all of the support, once again. Just wanted to say that if you have any suggestions for the story, please PM them to me instead of posting them in the comments. I can't use the suggestion if it's posted for everyone to see, even though I do appreciate the effort.

Other than that, just another thank you for supporting this.

Owl~ xx