The Life I Was Doomed To

Disclaimer: I do not own the Pirates of the Caribbean at all. All I own is the OC idea.

This is written in first person, or, from the reader's perspective. I have left the name blank so that you, the reader, may insert your name or any name you want. This just sort of came to me at, like, three in the morning, so hopefully it's not completely horrible. I've never written this type of piece before, so here goes! Please leave reviews below! Reviews = Love.

Backstory: You are the daughter of one Jack Sparrow's crew before he turned pirate. From what I understand, Sparrow once sailed for the East India Trading Company and got into trouble for not wanting to haul slaves. This is how he got branded a pirate, and you and your father went down with him.

"Tell me, Miss _ , why would one such as you choose to become a pirate?" Norrington asked

"Choose?" you hissed. "Choose? You think I chose this?" you demanded, yanking off the cuff bracelet that hid your pirate brand and brandished your hand before his face. Against your will, you feel your throat tighten and your eyes sting. "They say you can't be punished for your father's crimes, but that's a lie." You quickly turn away from Norrington, trying to regain control of your emotions.

"I beg your pardon, Miss?" Norrington sounds highly offended. "The laws of Great Britain do not punish the children of an offender for the actions of their parent."

"Perhaps the Crown in Britain doesn't, but Cutler Beckett in the Carribean does," you answer as evenly as possible.

"And what, exactly, is that supposed to mean?" he demands.

"Beckett was one to catch the Wench, and he was the one to punish the crew," you say. "My mother died two years before, so I was at sea with Father. Beckett branded everyone on board pirates, including me."

Norrington nearly gasps at your accusation. "S-Surely you do not mean-"

You finally whirl back around to face him. "I do, Commodore! Ask me how old I was. Go on, ask me!"

Norrington takes a deep, fortifying breath. "How old were you, Miss _ ?"

"Eight!" you cry. The tears that had been threatening to fall spill down your cheeks.

Norrington feels like he just received a blow to the stomach. "Eight? But that would mean -"

"I was a child!" you sob. "Only a child! And already branded a pirate! Do you have any idea what that did to me?" you ask. "When Father died, no one would take me in, no one would help me, give me a job, or anything."

You turn your back to Norrington once more, looking out the window wistfully at the town below. "All I ever wanted was to be a lady like Miss Swann. Wearing lovely gowns, be liked and respected, courted by a good man..." A shaky sigh escapes your lips. "No, this is not the life I chose." You look over her shoulder at Norrington, the hopelessness in your eyes making his heart drop like a stone in his chest.

"This life is the one I was doomed to."