Leap Of Faith

The edge of the end.

It's a terrifying place to be, when you know you can die-or take a risk and probably still die. Either way, something will be gone.

She stands on the roof, right where the skyscraper dips down beneath her feet. Tasting the thick black smoke, she sucks in a quick breath of the polluted air. This is it. The thought echoes in her mind. Warmth creeps up on the girl, and she spins around to see dancing flames in a fast paced race towards her.

Several new thoughts rushed around in her mind all at once-but only one caught the young girl's attention. Her mother's nagging voice: Take a chance, see where it will take you. For a nanosecond she smiled, remembering her mother's motto.

Ideas like that came to her mom easily, but that's why she's gone now-that's why she didn't make it.

The girl stood frozen, panicing the need to make a decision and fast. The crackling of the fire whispered in her small ears: What will you do now, Cassie? She wanted to scream, but her words refused to come out. She wished her mother was here, guiding her through the situation. The flames now crawled up from the bottom of her jeans, and in that one moment she knew what she had to do.

Cassie leaped. Her stomach flipped upside down and her arms flailed in the thick air.

But she wouldn't fall.

No.

She would fly.