Emmett Winston

"They still haven't decided what to do with me yet," Emily said. She'd been in the hospital the past three days, admitted with an eating disorder. I shoved my hands into my pockets and tried ignoring her.

"What are they saying?" She asked the question and I bit my tongue so I didn't snap. I wasn't mad at her, I was mad at myself. She had been suffering for months, and I was too caught up in my soccer and school to notice my own twin sister slowly killing herself.

"Are you just going to stand there and act as if I don't exist?"

My anger got the best of me and I snapped. I cast her an annoyed glare, "It'd be mush easier if you didn't keep talking." I saw her flinch involuntarily at my words, and the familiar feeling of regret passed through my mind and body. I hoped she realized I wasn't mad at her, I was mad at the world.

Silence passed between us and I felt my mind overthinking, the tears I've held back slowly forming again because of my mind.

"What's wrong?" Of course Emily would ask if I was okay, even after almost dying

"I think it's my job to ask you that." Silence passed between us once more, and I couldn't help but thinking about how hard all of this has been. I almost lost my sister, all because I was too oblivious to her pain.

"Mom and Dad are talking with the doctor," I said quietly. "They're talking rehab."

"Rehab?" Emily asked, the distaste evident in her words. Her eyes finally looked up and met mine. "I don't have a drug addiction."

"Just a starving yourself one." I snapped at her. She stared at my face, and I could see the tears welling up in her eyes, and I could feel my eyes doing the same.

"Jesus, Emily. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." I trailed off, carefully picking out my words. "I'm just sorry." The tears in my eyes finally fell down my face, and the reality of this entire situation came and smacked me in the face.

My sister almost died, because of me. I was sobbing at this point, and through my bleary eyes I could see Emily crying as well.

"Emmett-" Emily tried talking to me, but I ran out of the room.

I got to the hospital bathroom and sat down on the floor in one of the stalls. Emily almost died. My twin sister almost died. My best friend almost died.

It wasn't the fact that she almost died that was hitting me so hard, it was the fact I could've done something, anything, to help her, save her. I could've been there for her. I could've noticed all the weight she was losing.

Now she's going to rehab all the way in London for god knows how long, because I was too caught up in my own life to realize how broken my sister had become.

My sobs came out harder and I started hyperventilating. I knew it was dangerous with my lungs, but I couldn't stop. The thoughts of blame and regret took its toll on my mind and I couldn't breathe. My eyesight filled with black dots, and I slumped against the stall door. I couldn't breathe, and I passed out.

***

(A/N) so this is my take on what Emmett went through those first days of Emily in the hospital. The Art of Being Perfect by knightsrachel is one of my favorite books. Well, that whole series is. Lee, Emily, Parker, and Emmett are all hilarious characters and I definitely recommend the series. Tag her in the comments 😊