prologue

"I do."

"And do you, Daniel Howell, take this man, Philip Lester, to be your wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do you part?"

"I do."

The priest smiled.

"You may now kiss the groom."

I pulled Phil closer to me and kissed him, this would be a moment I would remember forever.

My heart pounded as our families cheered.

We both pulled away and almost immediately, our tears started flowing.

I tried to not cry, but what the hell, it's my wedding, I'll cry if I damn please to.

Just then, the doors to the church burst open, drawing everyone's attention to it.

There stood a man.

He was wearing light blue pants and the same color shirt, he was too far away to tell for sure.

He was carrying something, my heart stopped.

Everyone started panicking and screaming as he held up what he was holding.

It was a gun, aimed directly at Phil and I.

"I'm sorry." I heard the man say right before he shot the gun.

bang

I ran off of the platform, in hope of not getting shot, but once I realized no one was behind me, I knew who had gotten shot.

I screamed as my world collapsed.

I saw the love of my life laying on the ground, a pool of blood forming around him.

My brain couldn't process what was happening, before the man was standing in front of me.

He aimed the gun at me.

"I'm sorry." He mumbled before he pulled the trigger.

My body collapsed onto the ground.

The world around started to fade to black and all I could see in front of me was Phil's face.

He smiled lovingly at me before whispering, "I love you so much."

My ears started to ring.

ring

ring

ring

Louder and louder.

Each second was worse than the previous.

It felt like my ears would bleed any second,

When,

ring

My eyes burst open.

I was in my bed, in my room.

The darkness loomed over, it was heavy.

All that was visible was the light emitting from my phone screen, projecting its light onto the ceiling.

ring

As if I knew what was about to happen, I reached for my phone and picked it up.

I was getting a call.

At 4:06 am?

This all felt too familiar as I answered the call.

"H-hello?"

There was heavy breathing on the other end, cut short by a deep sigh.

"This is Dr. John Vega, I regret to inform you that your loved one has-"

The sound wavered, as if it was being manipulated with some force, before the line went dead.

The room was enveloped in black again before my eyes jet open.

I sat up, drenched in sweat.

I was panting.

I rubbed my eyes and looked at my alarm clock.

5:32 am, a whole hour before I had to be up.

"Great, another nightmare." I groaned to myself as I got up out of my bed and turned the alarm clock off.

I knew there was no point in trying to fall back asleep, I would just have another nightmare of something bad happening to us.

I made my way into the bathroom and turned the shower on. I let the water run hot for a minute while I looked at myself in the mirror.

I looked like a mess.

My hair was clung to my forehead, my eyes were red and puffy.

It's ironic.

This is supposed to be the happiest day of my life, and yet I keep having nightmares about it.

Make that nightmares inside nightmares.

John Vega.

Who the hell is that?

I don't know anyone with that name.

I don't have any family members in the hospital.

Dreams make no sense.

They're just all the white noise in your subconscious jumbled up into a movie.

...Right?

They're just... nonsense.

Yeah, they don't actually mean anything, they just fuck with your mind, right?

I chose not to think about it any longer to avoid any existential crises today.

Now, time to get ready for my wedding.
__________________________________

AAA I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE PROLOGUE OF IN SICKNESS AND IN HEALTH

THE NEXT CHAPTERS WILL BE LONGER I SWEAR

so stay tuned!

-m