Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Challenge 50 votes

He entered the little cottage, décorated again, functionally. He remembered her attempts at changing his room with colourful cushions and embroidered throws. None of her flamboyant bric n brac were present. The room did bore little evidence of her taste. It was more sedate than he expected. She moved silently behind him he realised that he missed the sound of her ever present payals. Did she not wear them anymore.

Had she changed that much in the past three months. How much did he contribute to this change. She had become a dim shadow of the lively personality that she was. He was definitely not happy about it and if she allowed him to, he will make sure that he will bring the old Gauri back. The trick was to get her to forgive him for his stupidity.

He watched her movements curiously. Still not sure that she was really. Scared that if he lost sight of her she would disappear. Feeling slightly self-conscious and frazzled at the intensity of his gaze, she indicated for him to sit while she went to, what he presumed to be the kitchen. She returned with a glass of water of a tray, which he accepted.

Not knowing what to do or say as she and Omkara had never had a relationship that allowed for chitchat or even a conversation. He had spoken to her only if necessary and she had always been too afraid to venture into a conversation with him.

She stood in front of him completely confused as to what could have provoked him to visit her. She knew that he hated her so she could not understand the reason of his visit.

"Gauri, please sit down. Tell me how have you been?" he enquired leaving her even more confused. He had never been congenial in any one of their conversations. He had always scolded, mocked or insulted her so she was even more nervous.

"Omkaraji I am fine. Is everything okay? Is everyone fine at home?" she asked.

"Yes, Gauri, everyone at home are fine." He replied.

In the eight months that she knew him. He had never bothered about her welfare, he would always enquire about the well-being of the various members of his family. But he would never enquire about her. She recalled the times when she had gone to Bareilly to visit her mother. It had always been Shivaay bhaya and Baujai who called to ensure that she had arrived safely. He had never called her for any reason, ever.

And then she realised the reason of his visit. The reason why he was so amiable, could only be because he wanted a divorce. Did he think that she would give him hassles in obtaining it. There was no other reasonable purpose for his visit.

"Omkaraji, I know why you are here." She paused.

"You do?" Om asked quizzically. Looking at her as she was nervously wringing her fingers.

"Yes. You don't have to worry. I will sign the documents." She said.

Now it was Om's turn to look confused, "documents... What documents?" he enquired.

"The divorce." She replied.

He gritted his teeth and placed the glass on the table with more force than he intended. "That is not the reason for my visit."

"No?" she asked.

"NO." he said.

AUTHOR' NOTE

THANK YOU FOR READING MY STORY. PLEASE TELL ME THAT YOU ARE ENJOYING IT BY VOTING AND COMMENTING AS THIS IS THE ONLY WAY THAT I WOULD KNOW HOW YOU FEEL.

******PLEASE VOTE*******