To James

You could never see through my eyes. Nobody will. I will not forgive her, I simply can't. She was too brave, and for this I could not ever trust her. And I cannot understand how you could mourn over her death, when it is her own audacity that ended her life. She was overzealous. So much so that she got aboard the Mayflower, and she died on board. How foolish it was of her to go on that voyage... She knew damn well the hazards! You must know, she had it coming, James. How are you so blind? Albeit, she always preferred you over me... That, I could not ever understand. She adored you more than her own son. All of which as if you don't have your own mother, Susanna. Mayhaps she wanted to fill in for your fathers absence... Yet still, how could it have been, you had two mothers whilst I had none. Despite her being alive and well, all the 17 years past, she never once supported me as much as she did you. Perhaps, that is it. You were so very spoiled, and so, you've lost more than I have. I haven't lost a damn thing. You weren't her real son, she never carried you. For I was her true son, yet she never cared for me. Yes, not a shock now that you would be affected, while I can just sit and feel the same emptiness. Your anticipation must have been replaced with so many overwhelming emotions when that news was shared. But not for me. I will forever feel the same about her, she be living or dead. For my whole life she could've been, what is the difference now? All set aside, I do hope you know now not to be like her. Stay in England, Jameson. For at least this moment, it is safer. Why take risks you do not have to take? My apologies as well for being so envious... I do hope that you can forgive me. We may not be in the same boat regarding losing her, but if you ever need it, write to me. I want to be of assistance.

Most sincerely,
           Elias Francis