Why do you like him?!

"Sahib?"

"Sahib?"

"Sahib!"

I jolt awake, scattering my papers all over the floor. My eyes dart back and forth frantically, trying to find the reason I was so abruptly awoken. At last, my eyes land on my body guard, Karim. I stand up from my chair and go around my desk to face him.

"What is the reason you awoke me, Karim?"

Karim looks at me strangely before speaking. "The woman worse than ifrit went out in the gardens with a man she was calling Captain Carter."

My fists clench against my side and I feel my pinkie start to twitch. It always does when my ifrit is mentioned. I wonder who this man is, is he a man she doesn't mind being around? Has he held her in his arms and danced around the ballroom floor with her? Has he watched the way her smile lit up every room? Has he, has he kissed her?! No, no, Rikkard.  Don't think like that. You know that the ifrit is yours and yours alone, and that no one can take her from you. Not even Captain Carter.

"Sahib?"

Coming out of my revere, I see Karim patiently waiting for me to answer.

"Repeat, Karim."

Clearing his throat, he starts again.

"I have researched this Captain Carter to see that his full name is Captain James Carter. He is the Captain of the British Army and is currently here in London. I have found documents about him, and I have them with me."

He pulls out a file from behind his back and hands it to me. I snatch the file from him, greedy to see what this Captain is all about. 

After skimming the information, my eyes land on a picture of him. He has brown hair, brown eyes, and a speck of beard on his chin. How is Lil-Mr. Linton interested in him? He looks like an oversized carrot!

Sighing, I put the papers on my desk to interrogate later, and face Karim with an evil glint in my eyes.

"Karim, bring me the waste disposal."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking down the dirt pathway, I can't help but feel a little anxious. Usually when men try to take women on a stroll, it's either to propose to them or kidnap them. I don't think Captain Carter would do the latter, and I hope it's not the former. 

Oh you know it is, you know he's here to propose to you.

"Shut up!"

Captain Carter looks at me alarmed. Oops- I must've said that out loud. Before I can explain myself- you mean dig your hole deeper- he speaks.

"But I haven't said anything yet!" His eyes hold a joking glint, and I feel my worry start to dissipate. 

"No, no, it wasn't you! I-I was just frustrated at myself for something... that I did earlier today." Wow, way to go, great excuse- note the sarcasm. Oh shut up, you.

Captain Carter looks at me strangely before shrugging it off.

"It's such beautiful weather, isn't it Lillian?"

Uh-oh, why is he using my first name? Because, oh I don't know, he's about to PROPOSE perhaps! I feel my worry start to seep back as I glance at him. He's looking at the sky with a relaxed expression on his face. 

"Yes, it is Captain Carter." What is he trying to say here? Is he trying to break the ice or is he trying to be less awkward?

"Please, call me James." Uh, no thank you! First name basis is a little too personal for us.