1 ; lounge and love

1.

richie tozier stands in front of the full-length mirror on his closet door, heart racing. he's freaking out, honestly, as he tugs the sixth shirt he's tried on off his head and puts on another one. this time, it's dark blue, which he likes better than the burnt orange of the last one. except now his hair is bothering him, and he begins roughly flattening a curl that's sticking off of his head.

it's the night of his second date with eddie, and richie could not be more nervous. he told himself that no matter what happens, he's telling eddie he loves him tonight. no exceptions.

since last weekend when he and eddie went on their first date, small things have changed in their relationship. like when they watch movies together, eddie now cuddles close to richie. and while they used to do that, it's different now that richie knows eddie has actual feelings for him. one thing that has changed is the kisses. eddie kisses richie's cheek a lot. never on the lips, but he still does it. like the other day, eddie kissed richie's cheek while they were making dinner. richie had been bright red for an hour after that. richie doesn't mind these little tweaks to their relationship, honestly—he honestly wishes more things could change.

richie knows he has to make this date perfect. he needs to prove to eddie that he can be a really good boyfriend for him, no matter how much richie thinks eddie deserves better than him.

"just breathe, richie," he tells himself. he gives himself a final once over, fixing the glasses that sit on his nose, and walks out of his room. eddie is sitting on the couch in the lounge, ready to go. he smiles and stands up when he sees richie come in.

"hey, ready to go?" eddie asks.

"i think i should be asking you that," richie says, laughing. he's taking eddie to a movie and dinner today.

"i suppose so," eddie says, and he laughs too. he sees the look on richie's face and stops laughing. "why so serious, rich?"

richie swallows. suddenly, nerves are coursing through his veins. he's scared of the consequences, but he has to tell him. there's no one to distract him, or interrupt them. there's no one here to ruin this.

"eddie, i'm in love with you." eddie's mouth opens slightly, and he starts to talk.

"i–"

"i've been trying to tell you for what feels like forever, but like i said the other day, everyone just interrupts," richie explains, ignoring eddie. "i just, eddie, you mean the world to me. something about you and me together feels like it's meant to be. and i know it sounds so fucking cliche but i don't really care, because all that matters is you and me, being in love. at least, i hope you love me back. fuck, i didn't consider you not–"

richie is cut off by a pair of lips on his own. they're soft, and the kiss matches them, but there's an intensity and passionate richie doesn't expect. he pulls away and looks at eddie with wide eyes.

"whuh-whuh-what was that?" richie asks.

"a kiss?" eddie says, but it comes out more like a question. "did you not like it?"

"no! i mean, no, i didn't not like it. i loved it," richie says, and eddie blushes. "but, i didn't know you felt the same." eddie laughs softly.

"if you had let me get in a word," eddie says, "you would have heard me say that i already knew you loved me. you aren't that good at hiding it. and i can piece together what you've been trying to say these past few weeks."

"oh."

"you also would have heard me say i love you, too." richie's eyes go wide and he grins.

"really?"

"of course, you idiot. now, where were we?" richie smirks, connecting his and eddie's lips.

they miss their movie that day.

——

it's completed!!

let me know if you guys want a spinoff for benverly or stenbrough ??

i hope you enjoyed! don't forget to vote and check out my other works!

- m