Wicked Enchantress Part 11

IN ONE INSTANT Zephyr saw it all. Rufus was brought in to lower the axe, because Doutling was not doing his job.

She had tossed and turned the night before, but over what? She felt like an idiot. What uncertainty was there any more? They were deceiving her, and Doutling's heart was not in it.

She followed Rufus down the stairs, hobbling on her bad foot. Rufus's liveried minions opened the door and she would have followed Rufus right out to his horse, only Doutling caught hold of her by her waist and holding onto her skirts would not let go.

"Thank you Rufus. Thank you. It is a relief."

The man turned a grave look upon her, and then turned back to mount his horse.

"I said, I'm greatly relieved," she called in a slightly louder voice.

"What is that?" Rufus turned back suddenly, and for a second she fell back a step, alarmed at the expression in his face. He was a man of dignity, and clearly would not tolerate mocking or disrespect. She lowered her tone, even as she twitched herself free from Doutling's hold.

Just say it to his face.

"You doubt my sincerity? No, I'm totally sincere. For once you do not speak in a code. There is no room for doubt in your latest message. Neither is there any doubt as to who my friends are, or what is happening right now...or what I must do."

"We are indeed your friends, Sorceress," Doutling said.

Rufus looked pissed off.

"You have helped me, whether you acknowledge it or not," she said. "Not knowing was the worst."

Rufus gave her one last scornful look and with a sharp snatch at the reins was off on a white horse, his men riding behind him.

She turned and hobbled up the stairs again. To the startled maids in the upstairs hall she said, "Please pack my things. I am leaving tomorrow. No—I'm not taking any of that," she said, when they held up half sewn dresses. "My old dresses will suffice." She turned to Doutling.

"I wish you to settle my bill with the innkeeper. I insist upon paying him with my own money, but I think he will try to pad the bill. See that he doesn't do so. But if he insists, then tell him all this—" she flung a hand out to the room, "—is for Theo. And if Theo doesn't want it, then the innkeeper may have the furniture, and you and the maids divide the rest. Or it can all go back to the King. I really don't care."

"If the Sorceress wishes to leave, I would go with her myself."

"Go where? How? To do what? You are the king's servant, and as such you are bound far more to him than to me."