2

A week passed. A hush had settled over the entire town. Guards were set up on both entrances of the town, turning away anyone who tried to come through. People were sent out to investigate the surrounding area.

Despite all of their hard work, they couldn't find the killer. He seemed to have left Peach. Shay was apprehensive as each day passed. He knew he wasn't gone. That note screamed to him that he would stay.

He kept looking over his shoulder, terrified of the unseen murderer. Why was he after him? What did he have that he wanted? What did he do? He couldn't think of anything he had done to upset someone. The only valuable that came to mind was his dagger. It was made of gold and gems. Intricate curved lines were on the hilt and sheathe.

But it was a dagger. Why would someone want that? He wasn't even sure how much it was worth. He didn't plan to ever sell it.

He sighed as he finished sharpening said blade. He returned it to its sheathe and reattached it to his belt. He was standing up from his chair to return the whetstone to its place on his bookshelf in the sitting room when he heard pounding on his front door.

He was startled by it but hurried to peek out the window. He recognized Faea through the glass. She was leaning on her cane, her face full of fear. She pounded on the door again. He went to the door and opened it.

"Oh, Shay, it's horrible! Janet has been killed!" she sobbed, tears streaming down her wrinkled face.

"What?" he gasped.

"You must hurry! John has lost it."

Shay stepped past her and she followed him to the cottage of Janet and John. It was no wonder John was upset by this. First Elizabeth, his daughter, then Janet, his wife. He had lost everything.

John was being held back by the Williams Twins when they arrived. John turned his angry blue depths on Shay when he stepped out from weaving through the crowd.

"Shay, this is your fault! That ass showed up in our room and killed her!"

Shay was taken back by his accusation. John kept on.

"He is after you. He threatened to kill me and the others if you didn't let yourself be killed!"

He had figured he would keep up the games and attack when he was at his most vulnerable. John's words cut like a knife as his words repeated in his head.

This is your fault.

He closed his eyes. It was. The man was after him and was willing to kill to get to him.

"Leave!" John shouted at him.

Carl, the blacksmith, stepped up, his green eyes burning with rage. Snow glittered in his fiery red beard.

"John, he doesn't need to leave because of some fool trying to kill him."

"Yes, he does. If he leaves, we will be safe," John snapped at him.

John then proceeded to try and struggle free of the strong grip of the Williams Twins. The two elf-humans weren't bothered by his attempts. They looked worriedly at Shay, their white eyes shining with unshed tears. Janet was their aunt, John their uncle.

Shay bit his lip. What could he do to console John? The man wasn't having any of it. Was John right? Would they be safe if he left?

A neigh sounded from nearby and they soon heard galloping.

"The bastard is getting away!" shouted Carl before he took off in the direction. There were horses tethered outside of his shop to have new horseshoes put on. Shay and some of the men followed after him.