Chapter 3 - Lucas

(From Lucas's point of view)

I saw her again today. As usual, I had to pretend not to notice her following me on the streets and even on the bus ride. I don’t know her name at all, but there has always been a connection between us, though not physically or mentally. All I know is that I need to keep watch over her and make sure she gets home safely. I think it’s what women call an emotional attachment.

On this particular evening, I stuck to my usual routine of getting off at the first stop and taking the next bus to follow her home. It’s nothing like riding on the bus with her on it. It’s like a constant longing for something in front of you, but you have no means of reaching it. This girl would be like winning the lottery – she had beautiful brown locks past her shoulders, a radiant smile, and the loveliest green pair of eyes I have ever seen. I’ve heard her sing to herself too, and I’m certain she would’ve gotten famous if not for her shyness over talking to people and relating to them. If needed, I could think of a million good qualities I’ve seen just by observing her – how much more in being her acquaintance?

I can’t even imagine what this lovely lass could’ve seen in me. Honestly, I’m not the type of guy who can easily scoop up women just by smiling or walking around. I’ve never even had a girlfriend with me for more than a month, and my last girl was just for my image as a guy. People had started to think I was a woman in a man’s body.

So what could she have liked about me? I guess it’s one of the questions that have been bugging me ever since I found out what she was doing. Imagine having the most amazing girl interested in me! What more could any guy want?

I was about to get off at her stop, but when I didn’t see the bus drop her off, I sat back down and watched the town go by. Every time we passed by a waiting shed, I’d stand up and wait for her to step down the bus. Three stops had passed, and still, there was no sign of her. I was starting to get curious – and worried. I wonder what she’s planning to do. Does she know that I’m in the bus behind her and wants to wave me off from following? I had no idea what was happening.She had never gone this far, and I doubt that she knows what’s going on. Something must have ensued inside the vehicle. Finally, I saw her get off at the next stop. I couldn’t let her see me, so I told the driver to drop me off a little farther from the shed. He agreed without asking why.

The night breeze was calming, and the moon was shining its brightest. This stop has always been known to passengers for its relaxing sensation and its lovely sights. There would always be a lot of children here, especially young girls, who played and picked flowers in the morning; and in the afternoon, the grown-ups would stay by the benches and eat cookies over talk. But at night, it was one of the darkest stops in town. There have been rumors of mysterious creatures lurking about, and humans disappearing for no obvious reason. Not that I believe them.

It was too dark to see from where I was, so I made my way behind the shed itself, to keep a closer eye on her. Why would she get off here? She looked so forlorn. I guess she must’ve asked the same question herself the minute she chose this place. I saw her walk across the street to the lamp post. Ah, smart thinking. I smiled. I knew she was smart as well as beautiful. Whoever said beauty was without brains didn’t live to see this woman.

We waited for ages. Not a single car passed by and we were both getting extremely restless and tired. She would often fiddle with her hair and make mixed facial expressions to probably cure her boredom. I on the other hand just sat by the road in the darkness, watching from afar and wishing to talk to her, if even for a mere minute. That should – would – make all the difference.

Out of the blue, we both heard tires screech and a loud honk. It sounded like a car had met some sort of accident. I’ve observed her for more than a month already, and I knew how she reacted to different situations. When she was all alone in a dark place, she’d stay put by the light, regardless of whether there was new company or not. But my maiden seemed to be doing all the wrong things tonight. Before I even realized her intentions, I saw her run up the road towards the direction of the sound. Why is she so different this evening? It’s like everything she was had never been! I followed her from across the road up to where the car was smoking up in heat. It was going to be in flames soon, and she had to get as far away as possible.

The smoke carried a rather odd smell to where I was hiding, like a rotten burger left on the road. I couldn’t make out what it was; only that it was the worst smell my nose had ever sniffed. My throat started to burn and my eyes were beginning to recline. No! I have to keep an eye on her! I pried my eyes apart and focused. She was talking to a strange man in his forties, all covered with slime and soot. “Does this vehicle belong to you?” I heard her ask. I couldn’t make out what the other man replied, but she suddenly backed away from him and ran back down the road. The stranger swiftly followed.  Forcing myself out of the shadows, I began to look for them. I felt like I could hear her every breath and every heartbeat, just as if I was the one being chased down by some mysterious creature.

I was being chased. I turned around to see three ghastly-looking creatures slowly make their way towards me, as if some kind of gravity was holding them back. I couldn’t see what they looked like or if they were just pulling a prank on me; but I’m definitely sure that if I stayed, I’d be dead in minutes. Like an athlete on a Track and Field race, I moved as fast as my legs could carry me, which by the way, is more than the average man’s. In a few seconds, I had outrun them by a kilometer. But I wasn’t Superman. I had to stop for a rest and catch my breath if I wanted to stay strong. I felt that somehow, I was going to need as much of it as I can.