him

Tiny particles of sand stick to my feet as I wander along the quiet coast. The chilly December wind dances through my hair while the sun slowly begins its journey down the skyline. I'm alone.

Curiosity flowing through my veins, I make my way to where the waves softly kiss the sand. I sit down and allow my barefeet to sink down into the cool sand and await the next wave. In the dull sky above me, countless seagulls flutter through the clouds; their chirps and caws harmonizing with the palm trees twirling in the wind. I'm still alone.

The salty water finally reaches my toes and runs under my feet. I'm not quite sure if I enjoy it, but I don't move them when the next wave races up the sand. I'm fully aware of the briskness of the water, but my body is too consumed with numbness for me to be concerned with it. Nothing has changed.

I look towards the cloud covered sun and see you, rising and falling with the waves. Your head is laid back on the circular float you're drifting in on. Waiting patiently, I watch you as you come closer and closer to the shore, your back still to me. You're unaware of my presence, but I am completely overcome in yours.

Your float finally washes up on the shore, just feet from me. It's very peculiar; I study it as the turtle next to me asks who you are. I simply reply, "He's the boy in the pink float." But that wasn't completely true. Your float must have originally been blue and someone had painted pink over it, but the paint was chipping and the blue was showing. I don't know why.

It feels as if hours have passed before you turn around and allow your gaze to rest upon mine. Your icey blue eyes are full of an unknown fear that I can't place. I reach my hand out to you; you take it. I ask if you're lost, and you say "not anymore."

While the sun falls behind the waves, we make a fire to keep us warm. Your arms wrap around me, and I'm fully certain the fire is not the source of heat.You whisper novels in my ear that make my eyes feel heavy. I'm not alone.

The sun awakes us, and I am still deep within your arms. You grab your float and tell me you need help taking the pink off. Your eyes drop as you ask for my help, but I gladly agree to the task. As I start removing the pink, all the fear in your eyes vanishes. I love you.

The day passes on and piece of the pink paint is on your arm. You tell me you have to go as you rush back into the waves. The dark water is over your head, and you're completely submerged. But I won't let you drown.

I pull you back to the shore and hold your shivering heart in my hands. I promise to always pull you out of your abyss.

Sometimes we drown in the cold water, but other times we make sand angels under the warm sun. Either way, I want to be with you for eternity in this blue heaven.