Chapter 6

"How long have you done this," 9 year old Diane Hallmark asked as she brought up her legs to her chest as they were sitting outside on the beach. Jay inhaled deeply looking up at the defined Milky Way. Normally in the country side, Jay could find even more stars since it was rural but out here he was even surprised that the Milky Way was clearly visible. That hardly happened and it was absolutely amazing.

"As long as I can remember," Jay smiled. Tobey Hallmark, the 6 year old, looked up at all the tiny dots. "I vaguely remember coming with my dad to sit down and look up at the stars. I could listen to him talk for hours and hours about the constellations, formation of planets, stars, the Suns.-"

"What happened with Grandpa? He doesn't come and visit us anymore," Diane asked innocently. Jay rested his wrists on his knees, sighing deeply.

"My dad? I don't know actually," Jay ruffled his hair. Bridget and Alana Hallmark walked up with them and laid out so Jay could talk to his kids about the constellations. No joke that Diane would beat her dad in naming a constellation or even correcting him. Jay laughed as he looked over at his wife.

"I'm happy you did this. I always thought Jay needed more time with the kids," Alana hugged her niece.

Jay smiled looking back up. They could see a floating figure over them and they knew it was a superhero but it took off rapidly. The kids didn't notice it since their mom was making them laugh and joking with them. It was quite a night.

On her way home, Bridget pulled on her backpack strap and dropped her smile. Bridget nodded as she looked up to see a man in pitch black. He looked nearly military style but it was a black t-shirt tucked into black pants and black pair of boots. He wore a mask covering half of his face with a cocky grin that she just wanted to smack off of him already.

"Bridget Tolson. Pleasure. Name is- well we don't need introductions," he smiled. "You are quite the girl in astronomy. Care to answer the question, why?"

"Astronomy? Me? Look I read some books but I'm no nerd," she kept on walking.

"See it is because I've been after blue energy. You know what that is," He asked.

"I know nothing," she kept walking.

"Funny."

"What," Bridget asked. She cocked her head as the guy smirked. His smile faded as he disappeared within a portal looking hole. "HEY!"

"Bridget? What are you doing out here so late," Jason asked rolling up in his Land Rover. "Get in. I'll give you a ride."

Bridget was looking out towards the dark and empty street wondering where that guy went. Not wanting to say another word, she got into the car and slammed the door shut after her. Bridget changed it to drive and smoothly drove away.

"Why didn't you take your car," Jason flashed a quick glance. Bridget didn't say anything looking out the window.

She turned her head facing him but still didn't say a word.

"So you are one of those types?"

"What," she asked softly.

"You're nice but then all silent."

Bridget laughed and held her hand to her face hiding it.

"Oh! That's got to count," Jason exclaimed. "Come on! Yeah?"

He pulled up in front of her house when she already had the door open to the truck. Jason jerked his head over as she was already walking outside.

"At least let me walk you up," Jason replied. "I can explain to your parents how I found you on the side of the road and everything?"

Bridget stood with her side pointing towards him and her house door.

"Why not? Might save me from some trouble," Bridget smiled. Jason got out and walked up with her to the front door. Her mom immediately opened the door watching the both coming up.

"Bridget! I thought Alana was going to give you a ride home- who is this," Naomi asked.

"Jason Maverick," he smiled warmly. "She was coming from the beach when I saw her walking alone so I wanted to drive her home. It was the least I could do since she helps me in physics and astronomy class."

Bridget looked over at him as he was looking at her mom. Jason eased up a bit smiling back at him. The kid seemed like a genuine guy. Jason was easy to get along with any ways.

"Have a great night Mrs. Tolson," Jason smiled backing away slowly. "Bye Bridget. See you Monday."

She raised her hand as the two women watched him get on his car and drive off.

"Well- did you have fun," Naomi asked walking Bridget inside.

Upstairs, Bridget sat in her corner desk writing when she felt that he was back.

"Hey D.M, I thought you wouldn't be back sooner," she turned around smiling at him. Dark Matter chuckled as he sat down on her chair. "So what can I help you with?"

"Blue energy. Know anything about it," he asked.

"Yeah. Something," she shrugged. "It is an ultimate energy that is so advanced that scientists are baffled- very secret scientists if you ask me- this energy is so powerful that they don't even know how to contain it. Only one man does."

Intrigued, Dark Matter leaned in forwards. Bridget whispered Ray Connelly. Dark Matter pretended to act shocked.

"He's in this very same town," Bridget whispered. "I wanted to see exactly how he managed to capture energy like that. Ever since the late 80s."

Dark Matter stood up pacing her room. Bridget watched him tug at his gloves and fix his mask.

"I have to say that someone holding that energy can't possibly be at all human. They need to be an alien or something- you guys trying to catch it," Bridget asked.

"Yeah," he turned facing her again. His broad shoulders squared up as he faced the window again.

"Let me help! Please," she begged. "I mean someone with that power has to have some sort of different bodily temperature or- or energy must give off some sort of signal. Anyways, I'm not the best for astronomy but hacking man, I'm your lady."

"You hacked for that information?!.....That's smart," he pointed. "If you can help me, that would be great!"

Bridget smirked and smiled at the superhero. Jerking his head, he announced that he needed to get going. Bridget ran to the window and leaned out seeing him flying with Bolts into the distance.