Chapter 1 - Welcome to The Kingdom of Cambria

A/N - Hey everyone! Wow... it's been a long time since I last wrote a story. I'm sorry for the sudden absence. I haven't had much of a chance to just sit down and write, but hopefully, now that I have an idea and story started, I'll get myself back to writing regularly again!

Thank you all for reading my stories <3 I love you all!

------

The slow clip clop of hooves hitting the dirt can be heard across the forest, making the animals turn and scurry out of the way of the stallions as they wind their way through the underbrush. The riders, adorned with their red capes and golden emblems, all smile and laugh amongst one another as they follow the worn trail. Servants walk alongside their masters, keeping to themselves as they gaze at the vast expanse of plant and wild life around them while occasionally bending down to pick up a dropped bag or two. The king, with his son and ward following just a few paces behind him, rides in the centre of the group. He has his chin held up high as he rides through the forest, giving off a presence of leadership and authority that none could defy. The servants scuttle around him nervously, constantly asking whether he wished to rest or have a drink, but he always brushes them off, much too eager to reach their destination to want to stop.

Arthur, on the other hand, would love nothing more than to turn around and return home where he could sleep in a proper bed, however after seeing the way his father had all but leaped from his throne when he received the letter of invitation from the King of Cambria he had no choice but to follow along with the man's wishes.

The prince lets out a groan as Gwaine, being the loudmouth he is, begins another one of his tavern tales with enthusiasm that never seems to disappear. He catches Morgana smirking at him from her horse beside him, clearly amused at his torture while she chats merrily away with Gwen who rides on the back of Lancelot's horse.

"What's with the sour face?" Morgana whispers from her horse with a smile, kicking at the prince's boot.

Arthur frowns at her, kicking her back from his own horse though she manages to veer out of the way with a mocking smirk. "Nothing, it's just..." he glances towards the knight beside him who's far too engrossed in his storytelling to notice he's lost the prince's attention, "...Gwaine."

Morgana giggles, patting him lightly on the shoulder. "Don't worry, we're almost there. Just survive for a few more hours."

"And don't worry," Elyan calls out, coming up from behind them, "we'll be sure to give you a proper burial if he does bore you to death." He sends the prince a wink before turning to chat with his sister and future brother-in-law.

Morgana laughs at the remark before turning back to Arthur, "Aside from Gwaine, you should at least act a bit more excited," she says with a smile, "It's a new place and we've never visited Cambria before. Maybe they'll have some strong knights for you to fight."

Arthur scoffs, "They won't have any I can't beat. Besides, why are you excited? I thought you would be dreading this visit?"

Morgana shifts a little in her seat, sending a glare towards Uther that looked as though she were ready to kill him right then and there. "I am. I'm far from excited to watch this... Tournament," she says the last word in a venomous tone.

Arthur looks over to Uther who rides a short distance ahead of them both. He's whistling to himself, a wide smile on his face as he gazes at the scenery around him. The prince shivers a little at the sight. Even he has rarely seen Uther so... happy? Excited? No... it's neither happiness nor excitement he sees on his father's face. It's bloodlust. Pure, unadulterated, bloodlust.

Arthur slows his horse, pulling further back behind his father while gesturing for Morgana to follow. She raises an eyebrow at him before dropping back as well, steering her horse in close before whispering, "What's wrong?"