[ P ]

Dad learned to accept my boyishness, if that’s even a word. I think he understood why I was like that. Well he knew that I had a crush on Ryder, so I guess he was just thankful that there was still a girly side of me in there.

One day, I asked dad if he was okay with me not going to college. And he sighed and told me to do whatever I wanted because it didn’t matter if I went to college or not. If I was going to live my life right, I had to live it happy. And if college wouldn’t make me happy, then I shouldn’t go if I didn’t want to.

All of the girls I knew were either sluts, or I just didn’t get along with then. So I started drinking when I was sixteen if ever I was alone. And then one day, Ryder asked me to prom.

I said yes, of course. And dad helped me pick a dress. Yes, he did. And he payed for it.

My dress was black and was a tube top and then it was all ruffly and fun when it got below my waist. It came up to above my knee and I wore it with my favorite black and white striped knee socks and sneakers.

My hair was curled and my make up was minimal and I felt awesome. And dad told me I was beautiful and Ryder picked me up and dad was okay with that because he knew Ryder ever since he was a child and he trusted him.

And we danced the night away, like that J. Lo song. But then we left early and went to club and I ordered a drink and I did the mistake of telling Ryder “hey, I’ll go to the bathroom for a sec. Watch my drink for me, okay?”