Eye contact

As you open the frosted, glass door the smell of coffee and chocolate hits you like an arrow to the heart. You timidly peer around the quiet cafe looking for your friend who is sitting at a small, oak table by the icy window, looking over a small street layered in a blanket of snow. She has a woolly hat on, to cover the unbrushed hair, a thick scarf around her neck, to wipe the tears and smeared make-up, and a pair of white gloves, to hide where she had been anxiously picking at her nails, waiting for you to arrive.
You pull up a chair and the painful screeching of it dragging along the floor echoes around the room. You fall into a trance from blindly listening to all your heartbroken friend has to cry about, when you feel a warm presence fall over the table. Your eyes glance up at the staff member trying to balance cups and plates on one arm as if he were in the circus. Your eyes awkwardly meet and your heart starts to race. His eyes are green, like emeralds, they shone in the light of the window. You can feel your heart jump into your mouth as you try to stutter the word 'impressive' but instead all that comes out of your trembling lips is 'wow'.
Your eyes fall to the table as he smirks at the remark and continues to collect the used cups and plates. His hair, brown and smooth like the latte in your steaming cup, his teeth, perfectly straight as if specifically placed, and his presence, it makes you feel safe and happy just remembering it.

For the rest of the afternoon your friend goes on about how everyone has done her wrong and how she just wishes she could find someone better than the last. You let every absurd word that comes out of her glossy lips run straight through you, as you replay the moment of awkward connection in your head in an effort to male it seem real but you struggle because of the amount of noise in the once quiet cafe.
Eventually you have to leave the warmth as your friend has run out of stories and you are completely out of comforting lies to tell her. You say your goodbyes and step out into the cold, frosty air.
'You will have to wait until next time', you think to yourself. You smile through your wind-blown hair and a happy feeling falls over you.
'Until next time'