My readers winter writers competition entry

She must have realised that this may be one of the only times she could escape the mad men. She slowly stood up so they couldn’t hear her ever-present footsteps and her bones cracking, she sprinted like a cheetah toward the door. She could hear their persistent footsteps gaining behind her. As she reached the top of the stair case she stopped so she could turn her head to see if they were still following her. When she did she could see the men frantically running towards her, she started declining down the stairs and she was about to reach the final step but she stumbled and fell down the stairs sounding like an elephant.
When she had woken up she had an intense pain in her head, it felt like she’d been hit by a car. She waited a couple seconds so the world around her would stop spinning like a rollercoaster. She finally stood up, putting her hand on the cold as ice stone wall and feeling something sticky, she quickly tore her hand that was keeping her from falling over off the wall to inspect the sticky substance. When her eyes readjusted she saw her biggest fear… Blood, warm, sticky blood. Blood is meant to stay inside us to irrigate the body, she thought. She looked down to her feet and saw that there was a trail of blood stains on our pristine white carpet leading to her little brother’s bedroom.
She was half-way up the stairs when she started to hear an ear splitting scream, her brother’s scream. She broke out into a sprint and when she finally reached her brothers room, she peered around the door frame to see what had made him so distressed. When she finally had the guts to peer fully around the door frame all she saw the man from the board walk, cradling her brother. When she went to have a closer look she discovered that his body was in fact lifeless and a sickly blue colour. Her brother, her innocent baby brother was dead! Tears started to fall down from her eyes and then her knobbly knees gave way. Then one of the men approached her, he roughly grabbed her forearm and forced her to her feet. He dragged her fragile body to the side of her dead brother’s cot and tied her bony wrists up to the banister, the hard rusted-up metal penetrated her skin.