III. Soon

The man's shoes made no noise as they glided across the floor.
They were black leather, and polished to a gleam. They stopped outside a heavy metal door, an edifice of bolts and titanium. The shoes' owner slid a plastic card into the entry slot next to the door, and compressed air hissed as half a tonne of metal swung open.
The man with the polished shoes stepped through the doorway into the gloom. As soon as he crossed the threshold, blue crystals lining the rough stone walls lit up, pushing back the shadows as far as they dared.
The man walked down the rough stone steps, through the rough stone tunnel and into a rough stone cavern, big enough to fit a house snuggly inside.
Thick veins of the same blue crystals pulsed and glowed along the cave walls. One could almost hear them humming.
The man stepped towards the centre of the cavern, where a humanoid knelt. The creature's shoulders sagged, but it was kept upright by the taunt tubes that ran from its outstretched arms and back into large cylinders at opposite sides of the chamber.
Despite the man's soundless footsteps, the creature looked up, eyes widening in some sort of display of emotion.
Joy, the man thought.
Definitely joy.
He placed a gloved hand on the glass visor that covered the creature's face, watching the water slosh underneath.
"Patience," the man with the polished shoes said, his mouth twisting into a kind smile.
"Soon."