20~~ Wish

[A/N: le time skip. I think 40 years old is the death age of 19th century or whatever, just by the way, so Adrienette dies at the age of approximately 45 in this ending].

King Hugo stood on the balcony, looking up at the stars in wonder. He knew that he should have been sleeping. As an twenty-year-old king, heir to two kingdoms, he could rarely get some rest. Frankly, he did not need it.

It had been two years since the death of his father, King Adrien, followed by that is his caring mother. They had died peacefully in bed. Marinette Agreste held her husband's hand as he died and her son held her hand as she joined her husband in a better place.

Hugo stared at the river below him and smiled as he remembered one of the poems his mother always used to read to him as a child. On The Balcony by D.H. Lawrence.

Adown the pale-green glacier river floats
A dark boat through the gloom - and whither?
The thunder roars. But still we have each other.
And disappear - what have we but each other?
The boat has gone.

"Are you alright, Hugo?" a voice asked from behind.

He turned around to meet his young aunt Emma, a painful reminder of both his parents with her dark hair and green eyes. Hugo had the same features, but his sister Louisa had always been the complete opposite to what they would have expected from her because she was born with blue eyes and blonde hair.

Louisa hated being different, but Marinette always used to tell her that she had more of her father's genes. Louisa was very arrogant sometimes and she hated being beaten. Adrien favored her no matter how many times he refused to say it.

"All good, Aunt Emma," Hugo replied, "How's Louisa doing?"

"Your sister is fast asleep. It is quite surprising that she's slept at all– she has been so excited for her sixteenth birthday lately."

Hugo nodded gratefully, "Thank you for taking care of her when I can't, Aunt Emma. I really need someone like you to keep Louisa in check."

"No problem," Emma Agreste replied amusedly, "What you doing out here by yourself?"

Hugo did not answer because he actually did not know why he was all alone. Honestly, he could have been spending his time with the Adviser's daughter— who he had grown up with from a very young age and soon learned to grow fond of her— but he just needed to stand on the balcony, reflecting on his parents' greatness.

"I miss them," Hugo admitted, "Mother told me about her life and what she and Father would have wanted if she were not a Queen. I wish she would have had that life."

"I wish they both had that life as well," Emma agreed.

Hugo looked up to the sky and sighed, "Do you believe in shooting stars, Aunt Emma?"

Emma had never been asked that question before so she had been taken by surprise. She did not believe in parallel universes or wishes that come true because if the sky's will.

"I believe in heroes," she said, "Did you know that we used to have vigilantes here. Many years ago before you were born?"

He looked down at the Miraculous ring on his finger and smiled. Indeed, he knew and so would his sister on the day of her sixteenth birthday when she'd wake up to find a pair of Miraculous earrings upon her bedside table.

[A/N: surpise! Miraculous woo hoo! Not writing a sequel for this though😁 too much work on my plate.]