4

As was said before, Meryl often teased and made fun of Ophelia, sometimes she took it too far. On one morning beofre class, this happened. It was the day after the first poetry club meeting, if you could have called it that. It was a Tuesday.

Ophelia was about to enter class when Meryl stopped her. "Hi goody two shoes." She said. Ophelia smiled, she was ok with this nickname.

"Hello Meryl."

"Jimmy said he likes you, but I don't see why. You don't have any boobs, and you have no money either, not to mention your daddy issues. How're you supposed to satisfy that crust nugget?" She added unessesarily.

If only she knew who was listening, she'd have stopped there. But she didn't, and she wouldn't. Ophelia was hurt, and she was also finished with the insults.

"That was rude, why did you have to say that?" She spat, but then realised her opponent. This was the most infamous, tough, rebellious girl in school. Ophelia swallowed, hoping she'd just leave.

"Excuse me?" Nobody argued with Meryl, or called her out. Every body feared or hated her for various reasons, mostly her fault.

"It was rude." There was no turning back now. People around started staring, and some mouthed warnings to Ophelia. All was quiet until the sound of something big crashing into the lockers was heard.

Ophelia's back and skull crashed against the metal. She thought she was going to pass out, but she didn't. Meryl stared down at Ophelia, a bit sorry for what she did but still having a grim expression.

Mr. Davidson angrily came out of the English room the moment he saw Meryl's hands touch Ophelia's shoulders. He sent the rebel to the office and had a teacher escort her there. He then turned to Ophelia.

He helped her up with anger and concern in his eyes. Holding her hand tightly and letting go of it once she was up, he then put his hand gently on her back. His tender touch sent warmth and comfort throughout Ophelia's whole body.

"Are you alright,Ophelia?" He asked.

"I think so, but my head really hurts..." She said, and then passed out from a concussion. The man smoothly caught her and picked her up bridal style. He carried her to the nurses office, who determined that she should go see a doctor.

Ophelia's father didn't answer the phone, because he didn't care to. He wouldn't care if she was dead. So the Teacher drove her to the emergency room, since there was no record of her having a family doctor or who it might have been.

He carefully carried her into the building, and once inside she woke up. She obviously still couldn't be left to walk, so Miles continued to carry her. Ophelia blushed the entire time, but she couldn't quite remeber why she was there in the first place.

After the visit, which confirmed that she did indeed have a concussion that she was treated for, she had to be taken home. But nobody was home, and you can't leave a person with a concussion alone.

Miles thought about what to do. He concluded that he would simply stay with her in her apartment until her father came home from work. He was also planning something, after all, when somebody you care about has been assaulted like that you may see it fit that the one who hurt them is punished.

He helped her walk to her apartment. Once inside, they conversed. He told her what happened, since she couldn't remember anything after arriving at school that day. He made her dinner, which was spaghetti.

Ophelia was so thankful that her teacher was a kind man. Her teacher on the other hand, was still angry at Meryl. He wanted her to pay for hurting his beloved. His beloved? Is that what he thought of her? Yes. He had surrendered to his heart.

"I never want to see Meryl again. She always picked on me and tried to get me into trouble. I guess I kept her around because she's the only one who ever acknowledged me." Ophelia said while they ate their meal.

Miles was glad she said that, because chances are, she indeed wouldn't see that girl again. Miles wasn't entirely sure what he was getting at with these thoughts, but one can be sure that the next day and every day after that Meryl wasn't at school.

Ophelia thought she had finally been expelled after that and all the other things she'd done, but little did she know that Meryl's parents were searching for her with no success. Miles's end plan worked.

Ophelia was alone, but at least she wasn't bullied. And now that Meryl wasn't her friend anymore, people started to approach her. It seemed that nobody had wanted to talk to her because she was always around Meryl. Now she was free.

Ophelia felt bad for being so happy about Meryl's absence, but she soon got over her guilt. Meryl was a terrible friend, why should she care? She put her energy into the things that she loved, and soon Meryl was a part of her past.

Miles found that he had no remorse for his actions. He protected his beloved girl, and that's what mattered. Nobody would harm her again. Not on his watch.

That was how Meryl's life came to a close. It was her grave mistake that did her in.