Chapter One. I'm Sorry.

November 25th, 1801

Following Lila disappearing two years ago, the family rarely spoke of it. Philip was unaware of what Lila had seen that made her run in the middle of the night.

The day was November 25th of 1801, the day after Philip Hamilton was shot and killed.

Men and women stood in the cemetery of Trinity Church.
Eliza was holding tightly to Angelica Church's hand. Alexander stood next to his wife tears in his eyes. Angelica Hamilton stood next to her father starring at Philip's coffin as it was lowered to the ground, not saying a word as tears slipped down her cheeks. The younger Hamilton children stood with their parents and sister as they all stared at the ground.

No one noticed that there was young woman standing at the back of the crowd, watching closely as Philip's coffin sank into the earth.

Her hair which was once a bright red, was now a dark brown. It was pulled up halfway, it barely went past her shoulders. Her black dress stood out with it's red dots on the bottom of it.

Her pale complexion made her look as if she were a ghost, but her hazel eyes were still the same. They were the only thing showing emotions, they were a light green. She was sad.

She should have been there, she could have saved him. She could have, if only she had known of where he'd gone.

She barely registered that people were leaving the cemetery. She shrank into the shadows as she watched the Hamilton's and Church's leave the cemetery after a few more moments.

When she was sure she was alone, she walked over to the soft dirt and knelt down in front of his headstone. She placed a gloved hand on it as she looked down and closed her eyes.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry Philip, I know I shouldn't have left. But I was a fool. If I could, I would gladly trade my life so you could live. But... I can't. I know I can't. You were always there for me, even when we were an ocean apart. You were my best friend an-" Lila said but her voice broke at the end as she let out a sob. She closed her eyes tightly and a red tear slipped down her cheek.

"You didn't deserve this. It should have been me. And I'm sorry." She said and rested her forehead against his headstone for a brief moment, before she stood.

The white crystal necklace that lay upon her chest began to glow a little grey and then it began to rain.

Lila looked up at the sky and blinked. When she opened her eyes, they were a bright sliver. Thunder rumbled loudly, and light kept crackling across the sky. Lila looked down at her hands, she removed the right one. The skin underneath was covered in an elaborate tattoo of a compass. It moved and she began to walk out of the cemetery as she covered her hand once more.

There was a swirling wind and she vanished.