CHAPTER 1

CHAPTER 1

Haley Pritchard was glad to have her shift over. Nursing was not the easiest job in the world. She didn't know how exhausting it would be. Patients were rude, angry and so very impatient. She needed to go home, put her feet up and curl into a ball.

In all her twenty-three years, she had never thought she could be that tired. Working the evening shift always drained her. Emergency at the hospital was always so busy. "Can I give you a lift home?" Dr Harry Bowers asked her. Such a good-looking doctor.

"Thanks, I have my car."

"Okay, well I guess I'll see you around." Haley smiled. Yeah, he was not getting into her pants. She heard the stories about the playboy he was. She was not stupid enough to fall for him. Still, he was hot.

Grabbing her bag and signing out, Haley walked out of the hospital. She was just so over everything. She had a good week off which was perfect. She needed the break. Work, work, work... Her life story. All to keep her head above water.

Haley crossed the street and walked toward her car. It was dark and weirdos were always hanging around outside the emergency section of the hospital this late at night. Drug addicts hoping to get something. It was freaky to walk alone.

Trying not to think about it, Haley walked as fast as she could. She had her keys in her hands ready to take off. Once she finally reached her car she drew in a deep breath and quickly made her way inside.

Locking the doors quickly she started the car. Haley was happy to be on her way home, it was going to be a good week. At a red light, Haley noticed movement in the back seat. "Keep driving." A man was there. Oh god. She felt a gun to her head.

Haley felt frozen, she was so scared. "I'm not going to hurt you, I just need your help. Now drive."

Not knowing what else to do, Haley drove on. "Turn here."

She wanted to ask where he was taking her, but her fear crippled her voice. "Go straight and turn at the next lights." Haley did exactly as he asked, she was robotic like. All she wanted to do was see what he wanted help with and leave. If he was telling the truth that was.

She tried to ignore the fact that he had a gun to her head. If he was not going to hurt her why then did he have the gun? Shit! She was going to die tonight. All she wanted to do was go home and forget the week.

"Okay keep going..." Haley looked at the dead road almost an hour into the drive, like there were no houses, no nothing, there was absolutely nothing where he was telling her to go.

"There is nothing here..." Her voice finally coming out.

"I know... Just drive."

"But..."

"Turn here." She had been driving for what seemed like hours now. He wanted her to turn into bushland? Like off the beaten track type shit. What the fuck?

"I can't see the path." It was so very dark.

"I can, now just drive. Turn off your lights." What?

"I... I can't see where I'm going." Trees, and darkness... Oh dear god.

"Straight... Just drive slowly now."

"Why are we here?" She whispered so afraid.

"I told you, I need your help." Help?

"I don't understand."

"You will." She felt panicked. But she was now literally in the middle of nowhere. She was more afraid of being out here alone then being with a would be rapist or murderer. She drove on.