I Depend On You

I knew something was wrong when I got home.

He sat there one the staircase, staring at me.

"Where the hell have you been?" My dad said.

"Oh. Um... Hi dad." I said, tentatively.

"I asked you a question!" He roared.

"At Jonah's" I say quietly. "I asked mom."

"Don't asks her anything, anymore! She's a pathetic excuse for a parent! So, you mean to tell me, that you were at a boys house all day?"

I nod slowly.

I stands up and walks towards me so he was only inches away.

"So, my daughter has turned into a little slut. Just like her mother" he spat.

I didn't say anything.

All of a sudden, I feel a tight grip on my hair and I realize he was pulling it.

"Are you being a slut!" He screamed.

I start crying because I know where this is going.

He throws me down on the floor and kicks me in my stomach.

I sit there, hearing his screams. Smelling his alcohol soaked breath. Waiting for it to be over.
Will it ever be?

******************************

The next morning, I awoke feeling soar everywhere. I look down at my arms and legs. Little blue and purple patches had formed on my skin.

I put on a heavy sweatshirt and a pair of leggings with some UGG boots, covering every noticeable patch.

My parents had already left for work and my sibling were at school already. They usually left before me.

Christmas break was over and I had no more time for myself.

As I got ready, I thought about these last few days.

I met Why Don't We. My favorite band.

I became an overnight YouTube Star.

I got invited to Logan Paul's party this weekend.

All of it just made me feel overwhelmed. How could this be happening to me? Just plain, old Alexia Roberts. I go to school and blend in. Then, come home to a crazy house and do my homework. Why would anything special happen to me?

I grabbed my phone, wallet, and backpack, and then I was out the door.

******************************

The school day was a blur. Everyone was depressed because break was over, but then, they were happy to see their friends again. The teachers didn't assign as much homework as usual, which was good.

When I got home, my mom was sitting on my bed, crying. I walk in, close the door, and sit next to her.

"Mom?" I say quietly. "What's wrong?"

"Let me see them." She said.

"See what?"

"See what he did to you." She pushed my sleeves up my arm, revealing the bruises. She started shaking her head and cried harder. Then she stood up, wiped her tears away, and left the room.

My phone buzzed in my pocket again for the hundredth time today. I didn't want to see what he said. Or keeps saying. Probably that he wants to hang out, but, I can't do that. I need to be alone right now and my dad would flip again.

I turned off my phone and put it on my desk. Then, I did my homework and when I was done with that, I fell asleep.

******************************

I woke up to a noise coming from my window. It was dark out and very quiet in the house. Mom and the kids probably went to sleep and my dad was still at work.

The noise sounded familiar. Like something I've heard from movies. Someone was throwing  small rocks at my window!

I quickly got up and turned on the light, making the noise stop. I look out the window and see Jonah standing on my lawn.

I open the window and say, "Jonah! What are you doing here?"

"I'm coming up." He whisper shouted, and then started climbing the tree that led up to my window.

I tried to protest but he was already coming in.

"What are you doing here?" I ask again.

"You weren't checking your phone and I got worried, so, I came to check on you." That's when he notices the blue and purple. "What happened?!" He grabbed my arm, gently.

I pull my arm away. "It doesn't matter. You need you to leave."

"Who did that to you?!" He demanded.

"Like I said, it doesn't matter." I whisper, looking down at my bare feet.

He sits me down on my bed and sits next to me. "Hey, you can tell me anything. You can always depend on me."

That's when the tears break through their barriers.

I cry on his shoulder. "I just need to cry."

"You can use my shoulder whenever you want."

I sat there crying on his shoulder for awhile, until I heard a car pull into the driveways.

"You... You need to go. My... dad... He's home." I stumble, trying to push him to my window.

"Wait! He did this to you, didn't he?"

I don't answer.

"He hit you!" He looked as if he was about to cry for me.

I nodded slowly.

"I'll kill him." And then he ran out my bedroom door when the front door opened. I ran after him, scared out of my mind.

The next thing I hear is Jonah's voice screaming. "If you ever put your hands on her again!" He threatens.

I see my dad just standing there at the doorway, looking amused.

"Who's this bozo?" My dad points to Jonah, asking me.

"I'm her boyfriend. And I'm taking her away from here." Jonah grabs my hand and pulls out the front door, pushing my father over in the process.

We run to Jonah's car and get in. He starts it and we drive off, not looking back.