Into the Memory

XXII

Into the Memory

** ^..^ **

@

Freddie and the others explained to Professor Snape as best they could, but his intimidating persona soon had poor Ciaran stuttering again. Harry knew exactly how they felt, but he had long since realized that this was simply the way that Severus Snape was; it was how he got down to business, and, as Harry remembered, it tended to work.

Draco was still looking all bemused with the fact that his favorite teacher had seemingly risen from the dead, but Harry didn't have the heart to tell him that Professor Snape would remain only for as long Harry held onto the Resurrection Stone.

And for as long as his Magic held out.

He wasn't tiring yet, but as he sat with his mother and watched Snape's interrogation and analysis of their notes and findings, he realized that he couldn't keep them both there indefinitely. If they were going to unravel the mystery of the Animous-Werewolf Derivative (as they were now calling it), it was going to have to be soon.

"So," Snape began, "There is not yet any conclusive proof that this alteration of the Gryffindor boys' body chemistry is permanent?"

"No, sir," Draco answered, sounding for all the world like the favored little pupil that he once was. Snape seemed to realize this as well, and he seemed to approve too. "They have only transformed once, but so far, their blood chemistry is an absolute disaster - comparatively speaking, sir."

"Compare to WHAT?" Snape pressed him. "Answers, Mr. Malfoy, clear, concise, answers, please?"

"Yes, sir," Draco agreed with a little grin. "Compared to Teddy Lupin, sir - the only known Metamorphmagus-Werewolf ever known to exist. And also the only intelligent, sentient werewolf, sir. And compared to normal Human blood, well..."

"Intelligent?" Snape leered at Teddy, interrupting Draco, who had since moved from Draco's lap to the safety of Harry's. "Explain? Are you saying you're domestic, as Lupin - Remus, that is, - claims? That you keep your Human Mind and memory when you change at the full moon?"

"I do, sir," Teddy replied properly. "I...I think I always have?"

"Potter, does any other member of the Werewolf Community know of this startling little tidbit?" Snape asked, his voice low as his dark eyes darted about the room.

"One other," Harry admitted. "Fenrir Greyback."

Snape exhaled heavily and bowed his head. "How did HE find out?"

"I have no idea, sir, honestly," Harry replied truthfully. "But I...I went to him for advice, when Teddy was a baby. When he...when he almost died. Greyback's son, you know, he didn't make it, and he...Greyback...seemed willing to help us."