Chapter 14

The ship was rumbling under him, Aoi was feeling it tilting more and more, but he couldn't give up yet.

His tired claws scratched at the ropes that tied Reita to the railings, trying to cut them with one hand, while the other was clutched tightly to his Captain.

Aoi could hear Ruki and Uruha's yells and calls to him, but he ignored them, gritting his teeth while working on the ropes "Rei... Rei I need you to wake up! Please...!" the merman talked hastly and when finally he felt the ropes starting to break, Aoi sent his own trident flying in the ocean.

He was sure one of his friends would catch it, Aoi needed both his arms to hold on to Reita, now dangling in the air saved only by Aoi's hands around his arm "REI! WAKE UP!" the merman shouted.

Then it happened.

The Hellion's front part inclined on one side and both human and merman fell down into the cold water of the ocean, Aoi coiling around Reita as much as he could to protect him from the hard fall.

There was a constant grumble around them, Aoi thought his ears could start to bleed at any given moment, but he held tightly to Reita's chest and tried to move his tail.

It remained still, floating into the water and every time Aoi tried to sway it, a wave of deep, unspeakable pain washed inside him.

He needed to take Reita to the surface, he needed to breathe!

Aoi cupped his free hand and tried to swim up using that, without results "Awww c'mon...! Come-fucking-on!" he cried, yelling in agony when he made his tail push both of them up.

Just one swing of his fin and he felt dizzy: it was the first time for him that he felt like drowning, in his own habitat "n-no... no no no...!" again his pleads escaped his mouth like a string of prayers.

Aoi used his little fins to help him, but nothing worked, Reita was too heavy, he was dragging the merman down with him "H-he needs to breathe...p-please, please!" the merman almost begged his own body to move, to save him, but he stopped trying when a big, warm hand cupped his face.

Reita had his beautiful, black eyes half-open and he was looking at Aoi with a sweet, tired expression "Rei...! Please move your legs, we need to-" Aoi's voice died in his throat when Reita shook feebly his head.

No, he was saying to him.

Aoi gasped, trembling "n-no?? Y-you... need to breathe you dumbass...! or... or you will..." he couldn't manage to talk while watching those eyes, while reading what was inside them.

It's too late, Princey...

Aoi stopped, wrapping his arms around Reita's body, pale tears floating away from his eyes "I... I..." he stuttered, while Reita was giving him a slow, but bright smile "I can't... Rei... please, let me save you...!" the merman sobbed, clutching on him.

Reita let a couple of big bubbles escape his mouth, like an underwater chuckle, before stroking Aoi's cheekbone with his thumb.

He was so beautiful even with that infinite sadness in his eyes, it was so good to be with him again, for one last time.

I'm so sorry Princey, I'm so tired... but I'm happy to be with you again... don't cry, please...

Aoi continued to weep on him, lowering his head to caress his forehead with his own, both of them surrounded by a cloud of blood "I can't live without you... please, please...!" the merman whispered between his clenched teeth.

It was so painful, his heart was ripping apart but at the same time he felt joy, because his dear Captain was there with him, caressing his face, his hair.