Past Hardships

I guess you could say that both my jobs are dangerous... You're totally right.

But, my life wasn't always like this.

I used to have an amazing boyfriend who loved me very dearly, and whom I loved in return. He stuck with me through everything, and always knew how to brighten my day. His name was Julian. 

He was my first TRUE love, and the most handsome man I had ever met. He had short chestnut brown hair, deeply tanned skin, full lips, a body to die for and the darkest brown eyes I have ever seen. I truly adored him. He was my everything back then, but as you know... Every good thing comes to an end. 

He moved to Italy with his family, only telling me the day before he left. I wish he hadn't been so nervous to tell me. Then, we could have spent our last couple of days together and not apart over a stupid argument.

I also used to have an amazing aunt named Talia who took me in when my parents passed away. She cradled me in her arms the day I came to her house after my parent's funeral. She let me cry my heart out and told me everything was going to be okay. That's when she offered for me to live with her. She got me to finish high school, helped me find a small job to help her with the bills, and most of all she helped me with a major problem that I don't like speaking of. She was a better parent to me than my birth parents.

A week after Julian had left, and I was holed up in my room crying my eyes out, I heard a loud bang. I quickly rushed to my Aunt's room and found her collapsed on the floor. Her skin was almost a purple color and she wasn't breathing. I tried doing CPR, but it didn't work and the ambulance came too late. She died in my arms  that night from a heart attack. I never thought I would feel so weak and depressed again, but I did. Her death broke me.

After she died, I realized how much we were really struggling with money. I had nothing. I became a stripper shortly after that to make a living, but sadly that wasn't enough. So, on the side, I hooked up with guys for money. I felt so weak and desperate in that point of my life. I only had enough money to pay for the apartment I was living in. I didn't have enough for food, body products, electricity, etc. I was a mess. 

Blade's Exotic Dancers was my only happy place. When I was on stage, nothing else mattered. Dancing is my escape from reality, however, it was only a temporary relief. When my shift was over, I just became depressed again and my cell phone would automatically start to ring with an offer of money for sex.

I knew I couldn't live like that forever. So, I seeked help from a man I met at a cafe. I was pretty desperate. 

*FLASHBACK*

The man in front of me right now was far more handsome than Julian, and I really did not think it was possible. He had perfectly styled jet black hair, fairly medium skin tone,  almost sickeningly blue eyes, and perfect thick lips. I would jump his bones right now if he wasn't so intense.

"I heard you need some money" he stated while looking at me up and down. It was like I'm a piece of meat he was ready to feast on.  It didn't help that I was sweating like a pig and my hand was running across my upper arm nervously. Why is he making me feel like this?

"Yes, I do", I mumbled while covering my mouth. He frowned at me in annoyance.

"Speak up! Don't mumble; I hate that" he said angrily with his arms covering his chest. I flinched at his raise in voice and started feeling even more nervous. This man was towering over me at 6'3 while I am merely 5'6. He's gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but he is very intimidating.

"Yes, I need money", I blurted. I took a deep breath and realized that I said that a little too fast for my liking. He smiled, showing off his flawless pearly-white teeth. Wow. Can he get any more perfect?  He had been quiet for far too long. He had his hand on his chin and he looked like he was thinking . "Please help me", I blurted again. 

"I think you have a lot of potential, Rose" he said. I rolled my eyes. Can't anyone get my name right?

"It's Rosaline" I corrected him. He crossed his arms in anger and I instantly regretted what I said. Maybe it wasn't smart to correct him.

"It's Rose now", he snapped. I began rubbing my upper arm once again out of nervousness and started taking deep breaths. Maybe I should learn to keep my mouth shut. 

"How do you feel about being in a gang?" he asked. 

My mouth dropped open in complete shock and everything around me went silent. I could no longer hear the cars passing by or the music that was coming from the nearby guitar store. A gang? A gang with murders and drugs and weapons? Oh god. ME?!

"I will train you, and you will make a lot more money than you are as a stripper" he said. I looked at him in fear while breathing heavily. How did he know I'm a stripper? 

"I saw you performing once at Blade's", he teased.

"Can you read my mind or something?" I stammered. He laughed at my response and immediately I calmed down. What is it about him that isn't making me run for the hills? 

"Are you in or out?" he asked.

I took a deep breath again and thought over all my options. I don't really think being a prostitute will get me anywhere and it's not helping me mentally at all. If anything, it breaks me more. Dealing drugs is also better than having sex with disgusting men. 

I realized its been a long time of me standing here without saying a word. He was still gazing at me, like he couldn't keep his eyes away. Maybe some good will come out of this.

"I'm in", I sighed.