prologue

| Kate’s POV |

“It’s not that easy.” I said quickly, my arms crossed over my chest protectively as my eyes flickered back and forth between the two boys before me. They had just given me the hardest decision you had been given in my life and were facing me with irritation etched into their features.

“C’mon, Kate, you should know what you want to do by now.” Calum snapped, his eyes flashing with anger as he looked at Luke who stood tall beside him. The taller of the two kept his focus on me, but I could tell he was straining with the effort of not looking into Calum’s direction or possibly even hitting him.

The tension hung heavy between the three of us, and I bit my lip as I kept exchanging glances with the two of them.

“I can’t do this,” I sigh, running a hand through my hair while taking a careful step back wanting nothing more to do with the two boys at that moment, but Luke took a step forward and Calum was quick to follow.

“Kate, just give us an answer.” Luke said, worrying his lip between his teeth. I knew he was nervous, Calum was too, but I wasn’t about to ease that feeling.

 “I have to go.” I said quietly, turning my back on the two boys and rushing out of the room without another glance back. They’d have to wait.