Ch. 5 ~ Fire and Eyes

Sunlight coaxing his eyelids open, Aragorn sat up.

Lips slightly parted, blonde hair laying perfectly on the rock as if it had been arranged by angels, Legolas lay on the mahogany-gray boulder, completely at home and content.

Aragorn reached out a hand and lightly nudged his cheek. "Hey", he whispered, hesitating. "Legolas."

His cerulean eyes flickered. "Oh, good morning. How did you sleep?"

He replied, "Very well. And you?"

"Much the same. It's so nice here.''

Having been reminded of the previous night's conversation Aragorn smiled instinctively.

Legolas smiled childishly back before his face turned serious. "Thank you again for taking me here. Honestly, I loved it."

Aragorn blushed. "You're welcome."

Neither knew what to say next. There ensued a brief moment of uncomfortable stares and eye-drifts before Legolas stood up. "So, where to today?"

Aragorn stood beside him. They gazed out, taking in the view and then pondering their options. They could go for another walk, or they could take the horses out, visit a nearby town, go for a swim in the lake that surrounded them, or just remain on the rock and talk.

After a brief conversation, they reached a decision: to return to dry ground, then begin the day with a swim in the lake.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

They rock-hopped back to their campsite, re-organized the supplies, fed the horses, then took a look at the water before dumping their shirts and cloaks onto the ground and jumping in.

Cold water hugging him, Aragorn wanted to know how Legolas he had occupied himself since the end of the Fellowship...

He brought it up, both excited and apprehensive.

"Legolas?"

His platinum head popped up, attentive.

"What did you do before I came to Mirkwood?"

His eyebrows twitched playfully. "Suspicious?"

But he sighed, and began:

"I would occupy myself with the duties of a Mirkwood prince. I'd spend the day writing letters, taking care of the garden, training in archery and maintaining peace throughout Mirkwood. It wasn't much fun, honestly. There wasn't much to do...What about you? Anything in Gondor?"

"I try to be a good king. I've always thought that keeping the people happy creates a life worth living. So I pay attention to their requests, demands, petitions, whatnot, keep up with public works, train and keep up with armies, stay up-to-date with alliances and enemies, and other stuff. But, I enjoy it- it's satisfying to know that I'm doing all I can to keep an entire kingdom happy--