Chapter 20- The Other Gift (Ava)

Chapter 20 (Ava)

“Merry Christmas Ava.” I muttered to myself from my corner in the Slytherin common room.

It was practically empty; only three other students were here for Christmas, and none of them seemed happy about it. Two of them had spoken to each other a few times but otherwise, the room had been almost silent.

I reached out and picked up the present that Harry had given to me at Slughorn’s Christmas party. I’d been looking at it for a while, wondering what it was. Seeing as it was my only Christmas present, I hadn’t been sure when to open it.

I couldn’t wait any longer and started to carefully tear the wrapping paper, trying not to attract attention from the other students in the common room.

Inside was a small photograph and a note written on a piece of parchment. I picked up the note first.

 Dear Ava,

I asked Remus if he had any more photographs of our parents and he took quite a long time to find this one. I was thinking about getting you something else as well, because it’s only small, but Remus said I wouldn’t need to. I wasn’t entirely sure of what he meant, but he said it would be clear to you soon enough. I hope he’s right.

Merry Christmas!

Love from,

Harry

I smiled and looked down at the photograph. It showed a group of people standing in a park. I picked it up for closer inspection.

My mother and father stood next to each other, holding a very tiny baby wrapped up in a blanket. Next to them were Remus and Sirius, both holding a little red-haired girl’s hands. I realised after a moment that the little girl was me. I was looking up at both of them with a smile on my face. Sirius was saying something to me- it looked like my name- before he bent down to pick me up. He held me tightly in his arms and finally looked up at the camera.

My eyes welled up with tears and I put my hand over my mouth. In the photograph, both my parents and Sirius looked so alive. All of us were happy, laughing with each other in the warm sunlight.

I stood up, clutching the photograph, and made my way towards the door of the common room. I wanted to get out- I needed some time alone where I could cry without being looked at.

“Where are you going?”

I sighed. It had been worth a try. I turned around and looked at Sophia, the girl from my dormitory who had gone to tell Professor McGonagall that I was having a nightmare.

I glanced down at the photograph,

“I just need to get away from the common room. I need a bit of fresh air.”

She stepped towards me, the ends of her short brown hair swinging over her shoulders,

“What’s the matter?”

I looked over at the other two students in the common room and they turned their gazes away from me. I shook my head,

“Nothing, I’m fine.”

The other two students started a conversation of their own, and Sophia sighed,

“Who’s in the photograph?”

I looked down at it, at Sirius’ smiling face and my mum and dad’s locked gazes. I tried to swallow the lump in my throat,

“My family.”

Tears blurred my vision and I looked away from Sophia, embarrassed. I felt her hand touch my arm,

“I’m sorry- about your parents.”

For a split second I asked myself how she knew- but then I remembered that Harry was a famous wizard, and that the story of my parents’ death was known by all wizards and witches.

I whispered,

“It’s not just my parents. It’s my godfather as well. He died and I could have helped him. I was so close to going to where he was and helping to save his life- but I never got there. Someone else stopped me. I will feel forever guilty for that. I could have saved him.”

Sophia shook her head,

“There’s no point in blaming yourself. It just makes you feel so much worse about the situation.”

I nodded,

“I know that, but it doesn’t stop me from feeling that way. I see it as my punishment for not being fast enough, for not fighting enough against the person who stopped me.”

Sophia looked like she didn’t know what to say for a moment, before she gulped,

“I’m sorry.”

I cleared my throat,

“I’m going now. I still need some fresh air.”

She nodded silently. I thanked her and left the common room.

It had been kind of Sophia to talk to me. In amongst the bitter and cruel students in Slytherin, there were always a few who were kind, those who had good intentions. People like Eleanor.

I made my way through the empty corridors to the AstronomyTower and stood by the railing, clutching the photograph tightly.

I hadn’t told Sophia what else I felt guilty about- the fact that I’d never replied to Sirius’ letter. That thought I kept to myself. Sharing it with other people would only make me feel worse.

I wondered why Sophia was staying at Hogwarts for Christmas. Maybe she was like me; maybe she didn’t have somewhere to go.

My thoughts were interrupted when the sound of an owl hooting sounded in the distance. I glanced up at the sky and watched the large white owl in surprise as it flew towards me. It was holding something with its feet, possibly a package. I couldn’t be sure.

It finally reached me and landed on the railing in front of me. I frowned,

“What are you doing here?”

It hooted again and lifted its foot slightly to show me the package. I gasped,

“For me?”

The owl just looked at me, so I assumed it was. I gently untied the note and package from its legs.

The package was wrapped in blue paper covered in gold stars. I realised it was more of a present than a package. Curiously, I untied the ribbon and opened it.

Inside was a brightly coloured box. I turned it over and noticed the words inscribed on the front.

Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes- The bundle of pranks for the people you really hate

I smiled and opened the box. Inside was some Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder, Wildfire Whiz-bangs, an Electric Shock Shake, A mini Skiving Snackbox and a Nose-Biting Teacup.

After a moment, I picked up the note and opened it carefully and studied the handwriting. I recognised it- I was so sure I’d seen it before. I read it silently.

Dear Ava,

Merry Christmas! You better use every single one of these pranks on your Slytherin pals. They all deserve it. Of course, if Umbridge still taught at Hogwarts I would tell you to use them all on her. Alas, she has left.

Enjoy your Christmas.

I reread the note, wondering who the gift could be from. It hadn’t been signed by the sender- maybe they had wanted to remain anonymous.

I smiled to myself,

“Whoever sent me this present- thank you. It’s nice to know there’s someone else out there who cares about me.”

The owl cocked its head to the side before it turned around and flew away, leaving me standing alone in the AstronomyTower holding only a photograph and an anonymous note.