Thunderbird

The thunderbird is a huge bird with an enormous wingspan who was directly connected to adverse weather conditions. It was said in thunderbird legend that the bird caused thunder claps each time it flapped its gigantic wings. Depending on the storyteller, the thunderbird could also cause rainfall or shoot lightning from its eyes.

In every case, the creature was powerful and intelligent. It could cause great storms at will, and was not to be messed with. Depictions of the thunderbird can be found on several totem poles in various Native American cultures. It usually appears at the top, sometimes with teeth inside of its beak.

The origins of this bird are unknown. Some researchers believe that the thunderbird legend is based on the sightings of real birds, with some even posing the argument that early sightings could have been from descents of the pterodactyl dinosaur species. Because of this, the thunderbird goes from being merely a mythical creature to potentially also being a creature whose existence is reported but not proven.

Also, most legends have the bird with bright feathers, which some say they could remove like a blanket upon taking human form. This directly conflicts with the pterodactyl theory, as their wings more resembled the featherless stretched-skin style of bats.