Chapter 6

Updates every Sunday! I'm back again and thank you all for being patient!

© 2017 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Distance Theory

Chapter 6

....................................................................

First impressions can often times be misleading; no more than twice have I come away from a first meeting knowing that I had gotten a justified impression of the person standing before me. Over time I had come to expect that I wouldn't take to a person within mere minutes of that standard handshake and exchange of names. But more recently, I had found that I was becoming far too reserved, more closed minded when introducing new people into my life. I was gunshy of making new friends or of finding new relationships now that I knew what kind of trouble I had been able to make of the ones in the past.

Elijah had been no exception.

I knew deep down that Eli had forced himself to go on this little adventure with me. Never in a million years would he have gone purely on will. Though I'm sure he had questions, or even concerns about the people he was living with, it'd be nice to know that this was the first step to getting back on the right path with him.

Though I could do nothing but commend him on his utter lack of giving me the benefit of the doubt; and if he still disliked me after today, I would keep my word and move out.

At this point, it was all I could do.

"My parents died," he started, pushing a stray piece of lettuce onto the mustard yellow wobbly table. From the two meals we had eaten together, I had gathered that he wasn't a fan of vegetables. Or really lettuce for that matter. "Lewis mentioned that your mom passed away."

I nodded, stirring my straw around the rim of my tall glass of water. The sound of the ice clinking against the plastic cup was occupying the silence that had stayed between us since our fight. "She died about six months after I was born. I was premature because the cancer was killing her so fast. They induced labor, finally had to do a c-section. It wasn't long before my dad was left to raise me by himself."

Eli winced at the mention, "I'm sorry, Bree."

The old dinner he had directed me to was nearly empty, excluding myself, Eli, and a few construction workers that had stumbled in here from down the street. So the only conversation to be heard was our own, and maybe a few grunts of approval from the workers anytime the sole waitress stopped to check in on them.

"It's okay," I shook my head. "I never knew her, but with how much my dad talked about her, I felt like I did? I think it would have hurt more to have known her only to have her pass when I was too young to understand what happened."

Eli gave me a half smile, passing me a french fry when he did. "Hate to say I agree with you."

I took it, popping it into my mouth and having to suppress a moan at the incredible taste. If I was being completely honest, I had eaten my fair share and quite a few others' of french fries, but this one, was to die for. There honestly weren't words to describe it.

"What happened to your parents?" I asked through my mouthful of fries. "If you're okay talking about it, I mean."

Elijah merely shrugged before falling further into the stiff booth.

"I was fourteen," he offered, sliding his plate across the table for me to have. "We had just moved to the city a year before. My parents bought this little diner and made it their own." Eli stopped as he began motioning around the restaurant. "They picked out every paint swatch, cleaned until the kitchen was spotless, and somehow they just made this place work. It was packed day-in and day-out."