The Plan B

As the car pulled up to the treacherous building, my chest grew heavy and I started to slouch in the passenger seat. Rain was falling onto the white concrete, making it turn a grey color. It was the perfect day to do what I was about to do. The sky was grey as it cried onto the earth. Everything was grey. I could feel my hands tighten together, anxiously.

"Are you ready?" Thomas asked, staring at me worriedly. I just looked at him and didn't say a word. He was so young and pure. How did he get mixed up in all this? How did he get mixed up with me? I thought everything was behind me after I left. I thought I could finally get a real life. But I was wrong. This stupid game followed me everywhere I went. It was time to redeem myself. It was time to face my worst nightmare so I could finally be at peace with myself. For the first time, I wanted out of the plan.

"I never will be." I murmured, looking back at the window. He tried to grab my hand but I pulled mine away. I couldn't be consoled right now. It was time. I slowly unlatched the passenger door and slammed it behind me. My black dress dragged on the ground as I walked. Quickly, I turned around when I heard the other unlatching of a door. "I need to do this by myself, Thomas."

"But I thought you said-"

"Forget what I said. Stay in the car. This shouldn't be long. You've been great, Thomas. Thank-you."

"Are you firing me?"

"No. I'm setting you free. You don't deserve this."

Quickly, I walked into the building that was my worst nightmare these days. The funeral house. As I opened the thick brown doors, I saw what I had never wanted to see. A casket. I approached the casket and couldn't control myself. The tears streamed down quicker than I could walk. I put my hands on the casket, gripping it for support. But it was no help. My body was shaking and I felt like I was dying too. The casket was opened and concealed a little girl. The girl that was my best friend for so long. I couldn't handle it. Her death was the worst nightmare I could ever have.

"God," I began, "I know I don't deserve to be forgiven. But if you could please, just listen. I was young and afraid. I wanted to know so much and was stubborn in my ambitions. I never wanted anything like this to happen. Please, forgive me." I burst out crying, my head down in shame. Suddenly, I heard clapping and I quickly tightened. The tears stopped as I came to the realization that I could be taking my last breath. No one was supposed to be here. I came hours early just so I wouldn't have to see family members and friends. There was only one person who could ever know I was here. The one person I knew would be here.

"That was truly just beautiful." Officer Wilbert mocked, laughing. "You do know how to act don't you."

"That wasn't acting. Shouldn't you know that? Since you've been stalking me for so long." I spit back, lifting my head but not turning around.

"Didn't your mom ever tell you manners? To look at someone when they talk to you." He growled as something sharp zapped me. I shouted in pain as two men whipped me around to face Officer Wilbert. He was older now.

"So, even the good people age?" I smiled but sorrowfully.

He was disturbed by that comment. "I have someone I'd like you to meet. Tell me if you know him." Suddenly, two more men threw in Thomas. My eyes grew wide as I knew what would happen.

"Thomas, I told you to stay in the car." I growled, looking at the floor.

"I was going to. But then the men were walking in and I knew that wasn't right. So I followed them. I was only trying to protect you."

"I don't need to be protected!" I shouted, glaring up at him. My eyes grew softer and I looked back at the ground. "Don't hurt him. He had nothing to do with anything."

"Oh of course," Officer Wilbert began, "But how much does he know?"

"Nothing. I made sure of that."

"Thomas, is it? What's her name?"

"Maria." He answered confidently. My face grew tight and my bones became mush. They wouldn't do this. Not now.

"Maria? You didn't even tell him your real name!" Wilbert laughed, as did his crew of police men.

Thomas looked at me, questioningly. "Your name isn't Maria?"

I just looked at them all, standing there. This was a mistake. I should have never came.

"So, I'm just inferring her but, he doesn't know all that has happened, does he? You lied about your name so he doesn't know you or your story. Does he?" Wilbert said, comically.

"He knows nothing and will know nothing until the day I die." I growled, looking Wilbert right in the eye. His eyes were still cold as always.

"What are you people talking about? What story? What happened?" Thomas shouted, looking at me for conformation. It was hard to hide the guilt in my eyes. "Tell me now."

"You know, gentlemen. We do have time. I want to hear her try to redeem herself. You really do charm the boys, don't you? You got this lovely gentlemen. But I thought you would learn from John."

I struggled to try to get free from the men that were holding me but they were too strong. I spit, "Don't you dare say his name here."

"Why not? Let's explain it to lover boy. In fact, let's explain all of it. Would you like to do the honors, Hannah?"

I cringed at my real name. Tears were strolling down my face. It was either now or never. Didn't he deserve to know? But that would change everything.

"No. I would never tell him of my past. The past doesn't make you."

"But it does break you, doesn't it? Tell him. Tell him everything. Or we'll kill him too. Tell him your story."