Nineteen

Adrianna lets out a puff of air, relieved to be rid of the weight imprinting lines on her hands. The women whom she rushed to help carry the last picnic table out smile at her in gratitude, some bowing their necks and others thanking her politely.

"It's too bad all the males are out carving the statues. We sure could've survived with just one male's help." Aleisha, a woman in mid-twenties with flaming red hair that curls around the frame of her face, mutters, smiling at her.

Adrianna nods, "What are the statues like?"

"Oh, I'm not sure." She shrugs. "They carve different ones each year and sell them off after the festival ends. Mark told me he'd carve me, but I highly doubt that." Slowly, she smirks knowingly.

"Hi Mama! Hi, Mrs. Luna!" A bubbly voice greets them from the side.

Adrianna's eyes fix on Marie as she bounces towards them, landing against her mother's side affectionately, gripping onto her pants. She beams up at Adrianna, causing both her and the girl's mother to smile with warmth.

"Hello, Marie." Adrianna responds cheerily.

"What are you up to now, squirt?" Her mother's hand falls onto her heaps of hair, ruffling it.

"Nuthin'." She grins up at Aleisha.

"Adri~! I got the fish!" Adrianna's chest rises and falls as she prepares herself for the next moment that she knows will be extraordinary.

She tilts her head to the side blankly and watches Heloise skips over to them–Jared in tow, holding a net and a fishing rod over his shoulder, packing a sour face. They're both drenched from top to bottom and when Heloise enters her personal space, she steps away not only because of her wet state, but also because of the salty, fishy smell the girl reeks off.

"That's fascinating, Heloise, really." Adrianna holds up a hand when her sister opens her mouth. "No, spare me the story and hit the shower. You can stop by the kitchen if you want to deliver the fish. Perhaps the ladies could make a use out of it."

"What happened to you two?" A deep voice inquires, nearing them.

Chris's gray eyes rake over Jared's form and drift absentmindedly to Heloise, down to the fish in her hands. A corner of his lip tugs up in mirth.

"That's quite a catch."

"Why, thank you." Heloise smiles, not bothering to hide her smugness.

Jared scoffs, "It sure took a sacrifice."

Heloise's pigtails swing around as she turns to level the boy with an annoyed stare, "Well, you didn't have to."

"You asked me to." He shoots back with a glare.

"You still had a choice to follow my demand or stay still. And what did you choose?" Heloise grits her teeth. "It's not like you should do anything I tell you to do. Would you kiss the fish if I ask you to?"

His eyes slither towards the trophy creature and up to her smirk.

"Disgusting." Is all he says before retreating into the manor.

"Ha." Heloise beams victoriously but it dies fast once she catches sight of a little girl reaching her finger up to touch one of the fish's fin. "Doesn't it scare you?"

Marie pauses, lifting her eyes to meet Heloise's before shaking her head, "I'm not afraid of anything!"

"Now that's something good to know."

Adrianna deems her presence no longer needed as Heloise converses with the girl about the fish's background. Aleisha has gone back inside the storage to get more decorations and she intends to do that too.