Chapter 13: Beaten and Alone

Violet's POV:

The last few days have been hell. I've been getting beat everyday and I haven't been to school since my "father" came home. Today was my first day back and I was planning on spending it alone.

Right now I'm at school hiding from Star who has been trying to talk to me all day. I thankfully make it to my next class without being spotted and am currently sitting at my desk waiting for the teacher to come.

I'm so afraid that someone will find out about what goes on at my house and of what my father will do if people find out. He's threatened to move us in the past and before I didn't care, but now I have friends who I love and don't want to leave. I feel horrible ignoring them but I have to wait until the bruises fade.

The teacher finally came in causing me to zone out even more not willing to listen to her monotone voice. The class passes by quickly and before I new it, it's lunch.

I tried to escape to the library but as I got to the door I was cornered by my friends. I pulled my hood closer around my face afraid that they would see the dark bruises that covered my whole body. Star seemed to notice the gesture and a concerned look came over her face.

"What's wrong Vi?" She asked a panicked and worried look in her eyes.

"Nothing" I stuttered "Nothing's wrong" I said trying to convince myself more than her.

"Bullshit, I know somethings wrong. You were out for almost a week!"

"I told you I was sick."

"Don't give me that I'm not stupid, you weren't sick. Something's wrong, tell me." she pleaded.

Tears started to leak out of my eyes at the thought of them finding out, but I knew I had to tell them. It's been too long, living like this, with no one knowing it will be the death of me. Something told me I could tell them, that I needed to tell them.

I looked around to make sure we were alone then reluctantly reached up and slowly pulled down my hood. There faces went from apprehension to horror as they looked at my face. I hung my head in shame when I felt their stares on my face.

The twins faces mirrored each others anger. They were to the point where there eyes darken to an unnatural black and there bodies were shaking.

"Who did this to you?" Macaiah bit out.

Even though I knew their anger wasn't directed at me I was scared about how mad he could get.

"I-I can't-t t-tell you-u" I stuttered.

"Why not?" they roared .

I looked at my friends faces and all that was on them was concern, but I knew I couldn't tell anyone who was doing this to me. I showed them wasn't that enough? I did the only thing I could do...I ran.

I sprinted down the hallway limping as my leg had been injured the night before. I made my way to the back doors bursting through them and continued running.

Sweat ran down my forehead and my muscles ached but I kept running. I ran through the large parking lot and into the woods that was behind the school. I ran and ran until I got to a clearing with a small creek.

I slumped down against a tree breathing heavily, bringing my knees to my chest and burying my head in them. I then did something I swore I wouldn't do...I cried. I sobbed for all the painful years of beatings and loneliness.

After what felt like hours of crying, it had set in what I had done and I hated myself for it. I haven't cried in such a long time. I'm not weak, but today I had let myself sob. Maybe I was weak.

"No you're strong" a whispered voice said. "who's there" I said. A musical laugh came in response and I started to get angry, they saw me breakdown. "show yourself" I screamed.

"We are oneee.....be strong" It whispered again.

"Who are you?" I said defeated.

"You will know soon... on the day of your birth we will meet" it echoed.

I felt the presence leave and slumped back against the tree. "Great" I thought, "now I'm hearing voices. One more thing to add to my list of crazy."

I couldn't help but think about what it said though. My birthday was in a few weeks. I'd be turning 17 on October,31.

I pushed it out of my head, then got up and brushed the dirt off my pants and started walking out of the forest back to the car park. Once I made it back to the school I made a beeline to the front gates walking out and toward my house.

An hour later I made it to my house. I walked in only to find it empty. I let out a relieved breath and made my way into the kitchen praying there was food. Someone must of been listening because when I opened the fridge it was fully stocked.

My stomach grumbled and I realized that I hadn't eaten in a week. I grabbed bread and lunchmeat from the fridge, an apple, chips and some water. I made a huge sandwich and put everything away before I inhaled all the food.

I patted my full belly and then went up to my room to get an old book to read. I grabbed my book, which was a dark fairytale book of sorts and went downstairs out the back door.

My body plopped down on the rusted swing and my legs went up underneath me. I opened the old leather bound book, my nose filling with the smell of old, torn pages and lilac, which was my mother favorite perfume.

She use to read it to me every night before I went to bed. I smiled at the memory of her sitting in the rocking chair next to my bed with the big book in her lap.

The book itself was not typically what you would read to a child, but I loved it.

The pages contain dark stories about creatures from another world and tales of love and loss. No happy endings... just like the real world.

I flipped to the most read story. It was about a creature that was more powerful than any other. A deity among the supernatural.

I read for hours until I was tired, got beaten violently by my oh so lovely father and then went to my room to sleep.

Just as my mind was slipping from conciseness I heard the musical voice from before whisper " We will meet on your day of birth, Be ready and be strong" and then I fell into a dreamless sleep thinking about everything that has been happening.