2: Royal Treatment

Sophie couldn't believe the way the crowned prince had taken care of her, but tried to focus on tucking Lex back into bed. Carefully, she had hung the cape from the curtain rod to dry to keep some more heat in the room after she first walked in, and started the fire, scootching one of the three mattresses close enough to it so the shivering little boy would warm up. She then walked over to the wardrobe, shivering, and pulled out her second winter uniform dress, which was the same brown as her summer version, but had longer sleeves and a longer (tea length) skirt with a flannel lining on the inside. The bodice was fitted with pleats and the skirt draped out slightly like all traditional maid's uniforms. Quickly, she changed, drying herself off before sliding the fresh clothes on.

This new room was bigger. It had nice lace drapes with a seafoam colored lining as well as its own bathroom and closet! There was a large rug at the center of the room, and four beds instead of three. That meant that Sophie and the triplets each had a place to sleep without being squished against someone else. The covers, like in the regular servants quarters, were nice and cozy, but there was something different about them. It was the room, no doubt about it. They had a lot of the same things they had in the servants quarters, all nice quality, but here, in this bigger, more spacious room, it all felt different. It felt fancy.

When she finished, Sophie made her way over to Lex, who was already sound asleep. She smiled softly, and pulled the covers closer to his chin. Sophie sat down in a nearby chair and took out her sewing. She was making Rex new clothes, as he was growing like a weed! She knew it would happen eventually, but Sophie hadn't seen it coming, as Lex hadn't started, though she was sure he would catch up eventually. He was the shortest of the three triplets, Rex being the tallest, but Sophie couldn't help but selfishly be thankful, as she wouldn't have to make him new clothes as well.

All was quiet, and Sophie didn't have any duties until Biana came back for dinner, so Sophie sat back, and focused on her sewing as she tried not to think about how long ago she had last seen Dex.

A couple hours later, there was a knock at the door, and when she opened it, Sophie found Princess Biana standing outside with an armful of dresses. Instantly, Sophie curtsied, even though she was surprised, "My lady, how may I be of service?"

"Your new dresses came in!" the princess exclaimed, "Are you free to try them on?"

"New dresses?" Sophie asked in confusion.

"Why, yes! Since you are officially my lady's maid, I had some dresses made for you! They're different from a handmaid's uniform because a lady's maid is supposed to be distinguished from other maids. They shall fit in with all the ladies in the ladies room, but I believe that they are uniquely meant for you."

She was completely taken aback, "My lady, you didn't have to do all that for me."

"Of course I did! It's sort of like a thank you for accepting the position, sort of like a way to keep the stuffier nobles off your tail," she shuddered, "they're vicious, and the last thing we want for you is to be caught in their teeth."